My experiences with installing nucs into TBHs

  • wilsonryanj
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2008
      I lost my only hive this last winter. I wanted to have a total of two
      hives. The only bees I could find close by were nucs. I picked them
      up from a commercial beekeeper with 1400 hives. He was not very nice
      btw. He joked about giving me really hot ones.

      I picked up the nucs in the evening of April 23rd and that night I set
      the nucs on top of my TBHS. The next day I went to try to figure out
      how to get them inside my hives. I had planned on removing the bottom
      of the nuc boxes and setting them on top of the bars. I cut slits in
      the bars so they would be able to go down into the TBH. However the
      beekeeper said he wanted his nuc boxes back, and his bottom was more
      than just one board. I thought if I took it apart I would probably
      ruin the boxes. I tried to fit the whole nuc box inside my TBH, but
      it was just a little too big. I ended up removing the 5 frames from
      the nuc and leaned three against one side, and two against the other.
      I left the nuc boxes on top of the TBHs so any remaining bees from
      the nuc boxes would find their way into the TBHs.

      We had a stretch of cold weather. Yesterday was the 1st day I checked
      on them. Everything seems to be doing well, except they are building
      comb from the frames to the top bars, and the orientation is wrong. I
      put some straight comb in the TBHs toward the entrance hoping they
      would use it. They are still clustered around the original nuc frames.

      Is there anything I can do to encourage them to use the straight comb?
      I plan on letting then finish up with the brood in the nuc frames and
      as the weather warms up they should start to shift toward the other
      areas of the hive. After they shift I can remove the frames and all
      the extra comb.

      Thanks,
      Ryan
    • Michael Vanecek
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2008
        Is yours a Tanzanian or Kenyan topbar?

        I believe the bees will stick with the brood first. Nucs seem like they
        would be awfully hard to put into a Kenyan top-bar unless you do a
        cutout and string the comb to the top-bars, but then the nuc's frames
        are probably wired, which complicates things. Getting bees to abandon
        the old frames may take putting them further back from the entrance so
        that when they hatch out they'll hopefully produce new comb and brood up
        closer to the front and you can cycle out the old frames. Other than
        that, some sort of cutout may be necessary.

        Be well,
        Mike

        --
        Zone 8, Texas
        http://www.taroandti.com/ Exotic Plants and More...

        wilsonryanj wrote:
        > I lost my only hive this last winter. I wanted to have a total of two
        > hives. The only bees I could find close by were nucs. I picked them
        > up from a commercial beekeeper with 1400 hives. He was not very nice
        > btw. He joked about giving me really hot ones.
        >
        > I picked up the nucs in the evening of April 23rd and that night I set
        > the nucs on top of my TBHS. The next day I went to try to figure out
        > how to get them inside my hives. I had planned on removing the bottom
        > of the nuc boxes and setting them on top of the bars. I cut slits in
        > the bars so they would be able to go down into the TBH. However the
        > beekeeper said he wanted his nuc boxes back, and his bottom was more
        > than just one board. I thought if I took it apart I would probably
        > ruin the boxes. I tried to fit the whole nuc box inside my TBH, but
        > it was just a little too big. I ended up removing the 5 frames from
        > the nuc and leaned three against one side, and two against the other.
        > I left the nuc boxes on top of the TBHs so any remaining bees from
        > the nuc boxes would find their way into the TBHs.
        >
        > We had a stretch of cold weather. Yesterday was the 1st day I checked
        > on them. Everything seems to be doing well, except they are building
        > comb from the frames to the top bars, and the orientation is wrong. I
        > put some straight comb in the TBHs toward the entrance hoping they
        > would use it. They are still clustered around the original nuc frames.
        >
        > Is there anything I can do to encourage them to use the straight comb?
        > I plan on letting then finish up with the brood in the nuc frames and
        > as the weather warms up they should start to shift toward the other
        > areas of the hive. After they shift I can remove the frames and all
        > the extra comb.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Ryan

      • Ryan W
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2008
          Mine is a Kenyan topbar. the frames are all the way to the back. I'm hoping as the weather warms and their number increase they'll move away from the old frames.

          Thanks,
          Ryan