Re: [TopHive] First year apprentice

  • Jorge Murillo-Yepes
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 15, 2003
      Welcome!!!!!!!
      Maybe you can teach us a lot about big apicultural operations!
      Best regards,
      Jorge
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 16, 2003
        Hi Jack
        I retired 6 years ago and took up beekeeping. I have 25 hives
        22 of them are National hives, one top bar and one WBC hive and one observation hive. We knew nothing of the top bar hive at our Association in Leeds, England until the person who built the first one here came and gave us a talk on using a top bar hive. Now three of our membrs have such hives and we have one in our Assoc. apiary site which is situated in the grounds of a Stately Home.
        Several of our new members this year, found the top bar hive much easier to use and to artificially swarm the colony.
        I also like the TBH but as I started with the Nationals I will stay with them.They bring in a lot of honey, propolis and wax which I sell to the public.
        The Assoc.have bought the plans for making a TBH and we have several of our members making themselves a TBH hive throughout the winter season. I will keep you posted on their progress.

        Jorge Murillo-Yepes <murillos@...> wrote:
        Welcome!!!!!!!
        Maybe you can teach us a lot about big apicultural operations!
        Best regards,
        Jorge
        And I just concluded my first apprentice year in Bee Keeping.

        I work for a commercial Bee Keeper in Saskatchewen Canada,

        and we run about 500 hives, now are cash crop is honey,

        about 108,700Lb. this year, but we do harvest some Propolis and

        pollen,but no market for wax here at this time.

        I hope to learn from reading the the questions and answers of this

        group and if I can help I will

        JD

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • P.H. Rankin Hansen
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 16, 2003
          On Sunday 16 November 2003 17:40, Terry Beddows wrote:
          > The Assoc.have bought the plans for making a TBH and we have several of our
          > members making themselves a TBH hive throughout the winter season. I will
          > keep you posted on their progress.

          Before everybody else starts asking:

          What plans ? Where to get ? What cost ? Images ?

          --
          Ping.

          venlig hilsen / best regards

          P.H. Rankin Hansen
          Mølletoften 45, Gaarslev
          DK-7080 Børkop
          (+45) 7586 1688
        • Jorge Murillo-Yepes
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 16, 2003
            Why do you need to buy any TBH construction plans? You can get them for free in the net, or simply build your own, the bees do not mind, once you respect the BEE SPACE.
            Jorge

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 16, 2003
              On Sunday 16 November 2003 20:02, Jorge Murillo-Yepes wrote:
              > Why do you need to buy any TBH construction plans?

              I have plenty of plans, even though sometimes new plans show new ideas.

              It is however a nice thing to be able to swap equipment among hives and if a
              certain area has some kind of a standard, like the length of the topbars, it
              might be beneficial if newcomers to TBH's were aware of that, in case they
              wanted to start with something other than a swarm - package bees are not
              exactly the norm here in Europe.

              --
              Ping.

              venlig hilsen / best regards

              P.H. Rankin Hansen
              Mølletoften 45, Gaarslev
              DK-7080 Børkop
              (+45) 7586 1688
            • Jorge Murillo-Yepes
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 16, 2003
                Dear P.H. Rankin Hansen,
                Sometimes I start my new TBHs by enclosing sections of comb containing eggs and young larvae from a good queen with a piece of chicken wire attached to top bars(forming like a basket). I shake in a few hundreds of bees which have been attending uncapped larve in the original colony, and make sure that the new "split" has abundant resources, either with some honey filled comb or by feeding sugar syrup.
                In a couple of days the bees would have secured the comb to the lower part of the bar and started the production of their new queen. Normally the bees do not mind the presence of the chicken wire at all.
                Best regards,
                Jorge
                On Sunday 16 November 2003 20:02, Jorge Murillo-Yepes wrote:
                > Why do you need to buy any TBH construction plans?

                I have plenty of plans, even though sometimes new plans show new ideas.

                It is however a nice thing to be able to swap equipment among hives and if a
                certain area has some kind of a standard, like the length of the topbars, it
                might be beneficial if newcomers to TBH's were aware of that, in case they
                wanted to start with something other than a swarm - package bees are not
                exactly the norm here in Europe.

                --
                Ping.

                venlig hilsen / best regards

                P.H. Rankin Hansen
                Mølletoften 45, Gaarslev
                DK-7080 Børkop
                (+45) 7586 1688

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • jack dales
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 16, 2003
                  Hi
                  I think you have my email address mixed with some else
                  my name is Jack Dales

                  http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/features&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca
                • Jorge Murillo-Yepes
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 16, 2003
                    I am extremely sorry for the mix-up.
                    Jorge

                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 17, 2003
                      Hi
                      If I help you I surly will

                      >From: "Jorge Murillo-Yepes" <murillos@...>
                      >To: <TopHive@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: Re: [TopHive] First year apprentice
                      >Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 13:51:50 -0400
                      >
                      >Welcome!!!!!!!
                      >Maybe you can teach us a lot about big apicultural operations!
                      >Best regards,
                      >Jorge

                    • GEORGE McCAMMON
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 17, 2003
                        Dear Terry,

                        Thanks for your mail. I have just returned from Switzerland where I made some good contacts for bee farming products.
                        Please send me information on the TBH plans you build from.

                        Best regards

                        George E.McCammon
                        Guyana

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 17, 2003
                          Hi,
                          Det er lige netop de sporgsmaal jeg vil gerne stille. Jeg har faa bygged det forste TBH her i Guyana og vil startye at bygge yderlige 52 snarest. Saa du kan forstaa at jeg vil gerne har oplysning om planerne.

                          Venlig hilsen

                          George E.McCammon
                          Guyana
                          P.O.Box 101092 GPO
                          Georgetown
                          Guyana
                          Tel:+592 226 9312

                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 17, 2003
                            Sorry
                            I'm English Canadian, there wasn't much call the learn African