Re: [TopHive] TBH wintering in temperate zones, swarm control, harvesting questions

  • Jorge Murillo Yepes
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2003
      Dear Joel,
      I'd like to offer my two-pence worth of apicultural opinion in reference to your message.
      Really my experience in reference to overwintering practices is almost nil, therefore, allow me to touch the other points raised by you.
      It is practically impossible to control ALL swarming, as it is the reproductive method of that multiple-organism called a bee colony. Basic management practices lessen the probability of such an event, though. Foremost among them is the availabilty of abundant space, both the total space of the hive's interior, as well as the cell space, meaning the amount of cells available for egg-laying and storage. Therefore, the addition of "empty" bars as an emergency measure may be "too little, too late". If you have that extra space to add bars, why don't you add them from the very beginning? Your suggestion of adding "empties" in between more often than not will result in the production of burr comb, which could make life rather miserable both for the bees and for the beekeeper. Again, as we are dealing with bees, sometimes this practice does work perfectly.
      I have used queen excluders in a few TBHs in the past and find that the extra work does not justify the results. Yes, sometimes the queen lays a few eggs in the lower section of the outer combs, some in worker cellls, some in drone cells, so, if I have to harvest tose, then simply cut them off and allow the bees to dispose of them, or just remove them to the far end of the hive and wait a few days until the young ones start crawling around. But, with enough bars with full combs in them most times those at both extremes are just full or ripe honey gorgeously capped!
      Best regards,