Re: [TopHive] Hello

  • grizzly bearnolds
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2003
      >Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003
      >From: "Jorge Murillo Yepes" <murillos@...>
      >Subject: Re: Re: anybody here?

      I haven't tried a top bar hive yet, my "specialty" if you want to call it
      that, is to keep the hives in a so called beehouse, an open sided shed,
      instead of having the hives outside in all kinds of weather.

      >After a few years, however, the surviving population seemed to have
      >adjusted itself to it and the initial disastrous effects of the attack did
      >not occur anymore. /// ... but after fifth or sixth year no one bothers
      >too much about Varroa anymore, even though it is present throughout the Island.

      So your bees just live with varroa, deal with them in their own ways, and
      beekeepers do nothing anymore? Tell more.

      >At the same time I started getting deeply involved in apitherapy. // I am
      >in the process of finalizing an Apitherapy Internet Course conducted by
      >Dr. Stefan Stangaciu from Rumania.

      I have tried to learn a bit more about apitherapy, but am not progressing
      much on my own. Am too simple minded in learning, don't have too much time,
      and to learn something new is pretty tough on me as I seem to be thinking
      too weird. I have no doubts that apitherapy works, but how to get onto
      that. I am horrified to get stung as a sting usually is pretty unpleasant
      to me. I wish to know about apitherapy but can't seem to make a good start
      on it on my own.

      Ma. ~ North Pacific, West Coast, British Columbia, CANADA

    • Rondi
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
        Hello

        I'm new to the group and to tophives. I have been tending bees for two years and
        currently have 10 langroth hives. I'm from south east Kansas, the gateway of the
        Ozarks, in my upper thirties and married with kids.

        I'm wanting to tend my bees more naturally believing unnatural manmade changes
        such as large cell size, larger bees and the replacement of honey and pollen with
        sugar/corn syrup and soy protein cakes are causing most of our problems. I think the
        Kenyan topbar hives fit into natural beekeeping. It all reminds me much of the cattle
        industry. A steer can be raised on pasture, grass and forbes, or in a stockyard on
        grain and in tight quarters. In the stockyard they will grow faster on grain, but the
        high starch diet undermines their immune system and they will need much antibiotics
        and vitamins before they are harvested in 2 ro 3 years. If you raise them on grass
        without help it takes 3-4 years for them to reach harvest weights. If properly
        managed with an intensive grazing system especially with animals bred for grazing
        and in harmony with the areas natural breeding cycle you can take a year or more off
        that and have a higher quality product then either with little to no deworming and
        meds.

        My objective is to know this insect and what makes them buzz. I'm just beginning
        down this road really and hope to share with and learn from you all.

        Thanks,

        Rondi