mice ate my bees

  • wilsonryanj
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
      I've been keeping a pretty close eye on my 1st year top bar hive this
      winter. Yesterday I went out to find a bunch of bee parts and some
      comb chewed up. I assume it was mice. There were no bees to be found.

      I know it is late, but is there anywhere I can get two packages of
      bees in MI?

      Thanks,
      Ryan
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
        Ryan,
        Did you find this upon the first opening of the season? If so the mice
        probably came after the colony was gone. Did you examine everything
        closely?
        I can't help you with the package info I am in Germany. If you go to
        http://www.biobees.com/forum/ someone there probably can.
      • Jacqueline
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
          Put yourself on a swarm list and offer to help collect one of the hives
          that's looking for a home anytime this spring. We've collected some
          really nice healthy hives that way. Contact your local bee group or any
          local beekeepers and ask who does this in your area.

          warmly,
          Jacqueline

          Friendly Haven Rise Farm
          www.FriendlyHaven.com
        • Ryan W
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
            I did find this 1st time I opened the hive.  There were a bunch of bee parts along with some chewed comb inside the hive.
            Thanks again,

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
              Try Groeb Farms in MI, they haven't started shipping packages yet. If
              they aren't all spoken for (and I doubt they are) you will be able to
              still get packages in time. http://www.groebfarms.com/