Re: Follower Boards

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 26, 2007
      IMO Phil is right most bees will quickly close up any large vent
      holes. We can only speculate that they let too much heat escape too
      fast. One thing is for sure there needs to be away for the heat to
      escape. Recently Phil and I were in contact with some Abbe' Warre'
      hive operators and they have a very interesting way of dealing with
      the ventilation problem. They call it a verticle TBH in reality it is
      a framless Lang they just use the top bar of the frame. over the bars
      is placed a piece of cloth and the whole hive it closed with a 10 cm
      high top that has another piece of cloth on the bottom and is filled
      with saw dust and covered. the heat and moisture rise and is slowly
      absorbed through the cloth by the sawdust. This IS the closest thing I
      think anyone has gotten to recreating the natural top of a rotting
      tree cavity. There is a ton more info on the subject at
      www.biobees.com forum. Phil has devoted a whole forum to just this
      topic and it is full of links. I can see this type of lid incorporated
      into TBH hives very easily.