just want to know

  • georgiakansas76
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 26, 2007
      i have never had bees and want to get some, in the town i live in we
      have a bee keeping club. i have been to three meetings , i want to
      build my on top bar hives and go with small cell. some people say this
      is OK others say small cell is no good , some say top bars are good
      others say not that good , has anyone here used small cell and how did
      it work for you ? the reason i want to go with top bar hives is thy
      look like i can build them a LOT cheaper than 10 frame box hives and a
      lot less time. i work on a building crew and can get a lot of scrap
      wood. what is the best top bar hive to use box or slanted? everyone
      sayes i want get as much honey this way. all i want is honey for
      myself and a few friends ,( i want to play with the bees man) 4 or 5
      hives will give me all the honey i can use want it ? thanks for your
      time. PS dose one type of bee do better in top bars than others . what
      is the best length and with of a top bar hive Brian.
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 26, 2007
        Hi Brian,
        Small celland natural cell are two different things, small cell is
        forcing bees to build what the naturally would not and natural cell is
        letting the bees decide what to build and where, natural cell is the
        right way to go!

        IMHO Russians are the best!

        True you will not get as much honey as a Lang, but TBH's are cheaper
        and more fun!

        Two sites you will want to look at are:

        www.biobees.com and www.hirschbachapiary.com

        use the links on Phil's and my sites read everything you can you have
        all winter to decide how to proceed.