953Re: aaagggh, my hives are so SLOW

  • nicty95
    Sep 5 1:50 AM
      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "David Croteau" <davidlcroteau@...>
      wrote:

      > 8/11/07 Just checked my 4 tbh's "SLOW" is the word I would use also.
      > There is absolutely no surplus honey.
      > They'll have enough to over winter on I'm sure.
      > One is two yrs old & is the same shape as the other three.
      > Was going to convert my other three LC hives to top bars, but now I
      > don't think it's a good idea, no production.
      > That may be why some super them.
      > Maybe we can use the natural size bees to install into Langstroth
      > hives, Just the reverse of what we been doing.
      > Use top bar hives as over wintering nucs.
      > I harvested 300 lbs from the three Langstroth hives, Jul 15th & Aug
      > 5th, about 150 pounds each time.
      > TBH's, "ZERO."
      > Dave

      Dave,
      Don't get frustrated yet. What size bars are you using and how deep is
      your hive? If the volume is too large they will build a natural nest
      and store everything around the brood making it impossible to harvest.
      This is not necessarily a bad thing. If you put the bees that survive
      fine on the TBH comb back into a Lang the difference in environments
      will be the stress factor which make the difference in them being able
      to handle the mite load. In other words they will show the same
      behavior but will not tolerate the mites and you will be back to
      square one!
      The small cell theory was on the right track it just was not
      everything. The real advantage of the small cell bees occurs inside a
      natural nest and you don't need foundation to get there. The bees you
      have now may never build you a comb you can harvest, but I will bet
      they survive without any treatments. All you have to do is adjust the
      environment to force them to do what they would naturally do if thier
      cavity was a little smaller and that would be to make a storage area
      behind the brood nest then you can harvest some honey! I am
      corresopnding with a beek who has the total opposite problem that you
      have he is worried about the congestion in the hive and weather he
      should pull honey combs to keeep them from swarming. Guess what his
      sizes are. 14 inch bars and 9 inches deep with a total of 24 bars!
      Gary
      www.hirschbachapiary.com
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic