930Re: aaagggh, my hives are so SLOW

  • kmdaven
    Aug 20, 2007
      Thanks David
      My two TBH's started at 3 bars each and now are both 11-12 bars. I
      think they will get through the winter. I'll see what they do next
      spring/summer before deciding to do Langstroths. I have a Langstroth
      hive that started at 4 frames and is now 15. So it grew much faster.
      This is my first year keeping bees so it's hard for me to draw any
      conclusions. I'm glad my two TBHs at least seem they will likely be
      stocked for winter- as I understand, 12 bars is considered
      sufficient. I'm hopeful they will each have at least 13 or more. I
      read such conflicting things about the foundationless/TBH method
      (whether or not it is more work for the bees, etc) and I think most
      likely it depends on your precise climate/nectar situation. I know a
      guy who produces hundreds of pounds of honey from top bars each year
      and he maintains he gets similar yields. But he is in a longer
      season, warmer climate than me. We'll see.

      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "David Croteau" <davidlcroteau@...>
      > Hi Kristen
      > 8/11/07 Just checked my 4 tbh's "SLOW" is the word I would use also.
      > There is absolutely no surplus honey.
      > They'll have enough to over winter on I'm sure.
      > One is two yrs old & is the same shape as the other three.
      > Was going to convert my other three LC hives to top bars, but now I
      > don't think it's a good idea, no production.
      > That may be why some super them.
      > Maybe we can use the natural size bees to install into Langstroth
      > hives, Just the reverse of what we been doing.
      > Use top bar hives as over wintering nucs.
      > I harvested 300 lbs from the three Langstroth hives, Jul 15th & Aug
      > 5th, about 150 pounds each time.
      > TBH's, "ZERO."
      > Dave
      > --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "kmdaven" <kmdaven@> wrote:
      > >
      > > HI there, and thanks to everyone on the thoughts on TBH vs.

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic