541Re: so, how did you get started in top bar beekeeping?

  • mo
    Nov 20, 2006
      Hi Scot
      Do you have any thoughs after this year of with all your TBh's?

      I know when I get a 3 lb package mid April here in New England and
      install with just foundation and have to feed it hard, I rarely get a
      decent crop but do the next year. If I install same on 3-5 of drawn
      comb I get a super or so. If on 20 drawn Langstroths get a decent
      crop. In every case I have to feed but less as I go.

      So, I guess my Question is there a economic starting point as far as
      success or a minimium point or combination with a new package say like
      a 3lb package with the ultimate goal of filling a Standard 48" KTBH
      like yours? Or do you think a smaller or larger package would be
      needed? Any drawn comb added?

      I know with my bees they have a hard time keeping up with some
      of the intense flows and ultimately swarm as they can't draw a super
      fast enough.

      Cheers
      mo

      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "scot.mcpherson" <scot.mcpherson@...>
      wrote:

      > </blurb>I know some members are a bit tweaked that a send tbhers to
      other lists, but quite frankly mark has just demonstrated why I do so.
      Having said this I would like to see some discussion here and wonder
      why if people want discussion that the membership here does just go
      ahead and chat. </end blurb>

      > I have been keeping bees for over 20 years now. My operation is
      completely organic in practices. I practice zero tolerance for
      treatments whether organic certified or otherwise. The only feeding
      the bees get are new installations only until they can fend for
      themselves, and that's usually only 1 or 2 lbs of sugar per hive.

      > I got started with topbarhives after returning from military
      service, getting married and being broke wanting to return to bees. I
      really couldn't afford to by standard equipment and found tbhs. It
      took an extra year to get started and so could do some research and
      development for a whole year to come up with a perfect design. I
      bought bees from ken at buckeye bee, and had 4 new hives going that
      spring. Now I have been keeping bees in tbhs for 4 years, and am
      building 500 new hives and bought 500 packages for this spring.

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

      > >roup archive and other pages can be accessed at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TopHive

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic