424Re: [TopHive] Re: New package arriving ??FOOD??

  • girl mark
    Apr 4, 2006
      yeah, really. Some dry weather at noon would be nice SOMETIME, please.

      I'm plagued with ants (which seem to get worse when it rains in Northern
      California).

      I put the hive stand legs into cans of water. When you do this, it
      generally works to keep ants out although you have to periodically blast
      the dead bees out with a water hose, unless you put a little roof over
      each moat, which I havne't gotten around to yet. I do keep the moat
      debris-free pretty well, though.

      Recently I was up there looking at where the hell the ants kept coming
      from. Well, there went a miracle. The ants were walking on water. They
      were marching calmly like an army of nasty little waterbugs, right over
      my moat's surface . There wasn't really a bridge of debris or anything-
      they were just using the dust on the water (I guess?) to provide
      additional surface tension. Arggghhh!

      Mark

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic