2648Re: installing bees

  • stevenogborn
    May 3, 2013
      --- In TopHive@yahoogroups.com, "amyhan@..." <amyhan@...> wrote:

      > We installed our first bees on Wednesday and by today they had all left. I'm pretty sure the queen got out to soon and she probably flew off with the hive. Does anyone have any tips? We are going to give it another shot.

      Make sure,if you have screened bottoms, that they are closed until the colony has a good amount of brood started before opening them.
      Clipped queens help to prevent absconding. If the queen can't go with them, they realize that and return back to close to where they absconded from. A couple of years ago, I had to put my queens back into their hives a couple of times each. As soon as I closed the screened bottoms on my hives, they settled down and got to work.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic