2591Re: [TopHive] Bars

  • coyote@acrec.com
    Sep 18, 2012
      Pine should be fine, but make the bars thicker. Three quarter stock is
      really pretty thin stuff for this purpose, and I'm not surprised to hear
      they warped. Mine are out of 2-by cedar, and they haven't warped in 2
      years of use.

      If you want to get fancy about it, check the warped bars -- did they
      have honey comb or brood comb on them? Were they "plain sawn" or
      "quarter sawn" stock? Thinner, plain sawn bars with honey are most
      likely to warp, all other things being equal.

      Counting combs is not be an accurate way to gauge honey stores -- comb
      sizes can vary quite a bit, since there's no standardization of TBH
      designs. What did you do for your Langs? If your method worked, apply it
      to your TBHs. I err on the side of caution and harvest in late spring
      through mid summer. In late summer and fall, I let the bees have all the
      honey they can store. If the hive is full, that's great.

      --DeeAnna