      From: Rafael Montag <rmontag48@...>
      Subject: Re: [TopHive] Bees in cluster
      To: "TopHive@yahoogroups.com" <TopHive@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, June 15, 2012, 8:25 AM

      Don't be misled by the apparent simplicity of TBH beekeeping.  Though you don't have to deal with supers and such as well as frames in a Lang hive, there is still a substantial amount of work to be done in preparing a TBH for use, namely hive construction and bar preparation.  Bars can be as simple as a 1 3/8 wide piece of wood, but to ensure that the ladies do what they're supposed to do (that is to your liking), you should melt a wax guide to the underside of each bar so that the combs they build are parallel to each other.  I failed to do this with my last captured swarm (about a month ago) and learned the hard way that left to their own devices they'll construct their combs any which way that works for them and in this case it was at an orientation that was diagonal to the orientation of the bars, such that every comb was attached to two to three bars - not very efficient for hive management.  To fix that I had to construct bars that to a
      greater or lesser extent looked somewhat like Lang frames, gingerly cut each comb and intall it in this type of bar, supported by rubber bands on the sides, the theory being that once the combs are so oriented the bees will build on them and eventually attach them to the bars.  Maybe they'll get the idea, maybe not - time will tell.  There are several variations on this theme, but I like mine because this type of TBH "frame" also works for cut-outs (a whole 'nother ball game once you get into beekeeping - I guess I'm a real nut case in this regard).  In building bars I've tried the triangular bottom-type and the one with a kerf in the middle and running its length.  With the triangular bottom, the bottom 1/8" to 1/4" needs to be dipped in hot wax for a guide.  For the kerf-type, a wax bead needs to be melted into the kerf for its length.  The latter is definitely more time-consuming than the former, but for me, the jury is still out as to which
      is the better method.  My TBHs are 46.5" long on the inside.  That means that for each hive I have to construct a shit-load (that's a technical term in beekeeping circles) of bars - a very time time-consuming operation.  If you don't believe it, just ask my wife who on more than one occasion has asked me to choose with "either the bees go or I go".  I still can't quite make up my mind.  She is, after all, only one lady.  They are in the 100s of thousands.  Decisions, decisions...

      Raf