2505Re: [TopHive] Bees in cluster

  • elegans@aol.com
    Jun 14, 2012
      In a message dated 6/14/2012 5:54:37 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
      robbie46@... writes:

      Good Morning,
      I installed bees into my new TBH over a week ago. All the brood bars have
      foundation strips attached, but the bees still remain in a cluster in one
      corner of the hive. Any suggestions?

      Thanks, Robbie

      They take time Robbie. Be patient. A week is no time at all for a new
      colony. They have to build comb completely with out the foundation commonly
      used in Langs. Let them be. Plus the foragers need to orient themselves. One
      thing you can do is put an entrance feeder in with sugar water. The nectar
      feeds the young bees who produce the wax flakes. And depending on where you
      live the regular nectar flow may not be sufficient to feed a new colony.
      Patience and supplimental feeding. DO NOT OPEN THE HIVE. The stress at this
      point can be very damaging to the new hive!!!!!!

      George McRae