1598Re: [TopHive] Top Bar Hives and the State of Florida

  • jeff hartman
    Apr 9, 2009
      John Missing wrote:
      > My questions are: 1) Can I use the Langstroth boxes, but use top
      > bars instead of frames?
      ****************************
      i don't think just using top bars would work in such a wide box, but
      they do sell foundationless frames
      ***********************
      2) If I am doing that, can I manage them like a
      > Warre hive, adding boxes to the bottom rather than the top?
      ************************
      yes you could, but why not just build some warre hives. they can be made
      legal in the united states by use of frames, or just do what i am doing
      and not register them. they really are the most natural and bee friendly
      hive there is
      *************************
      3) Will the
      > State of Florida let me not use a queen excluder?
      **********************
      no state can tell you you have to use a queen excluder
      4) How can I
      > strengthen the comb on a top bar in order that they can be handled for
      > inspection?
      using the lang boxes i would think you would need to use full
      foundationless frames, with warres you can use half frames or stainless
      steel wire like in roger delons warre hives
      <http://warre.biobees.com/delon.htm>.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic