101RESEND (Varroa control in top bar hives)

  • Leonard and/or Anitia Barton
    Sep 9, 2003
      I am resending this as the echo did not show my text - only the original
      messages from Jorge and Sasha. If this is redundant, please ignore it.

      Greetings Jorge, Sasha, Ping, Steve and others:

      Notes from California - Central inland coastal valley climate (Walnut Creek,
      50 km east of San Francisco). These are just some random notes about my
      experience but may offer hope for others who want to keep bees without
      chemicals and who are concerned about varroa. This month is the completion
      of my third year of beekeeping.

      About 10 years ago varroa arrived in our area. Swarm calls to our bee club
      dropped from three hundred a month during the spring to ten to twenty. Over
      the past three years swarm calls have greatly increased - now over a hundred
      per month. We think that this recovery of the feral population is due to
      natural selective breeding for varroa resistance.

      My bees are obtained from these wild swarms. As Africanized honey bees are
      approaching, this may not be possible in the next few years.

      To some extent it may be that the wild swarms are breeding with improved
      commercial bees, but there is not the kind of heavy comercial beekeeping as
      seen in agricultural areas to the east (California's great Central Valley) -
      our area is a mix of suburban residential and wildland open space reserves.

      I have been able to keep several colonies (I presently have four) without
      medications of any kind (including patties or oils). Nosema is endemic but
      my bees seem productive without controlling it. My first colony was a ferral
      Yugo/Italian mix. This was kept in a closed bottom hive (similar to
      Satterfield's) and suffered from varroa after about three month's residence.
      I observed an average of one varroa per drone brood - some none, some three
      or four - said to be a heavy infestation. Drone excision controled this
      sucessfully, combined with the development of the vent bottom 30 degree
      CalKenyan. These bees were not agressive when worked but would lurk in the
      vegetable plot and sting my wife in the early morning! Because of this I
      requeened the next year with a Russian queen, which ultimately proved
      unsucessful in our climate, as the hive gradually declined and she shut down
      laying in our late autumn and winter - the time of our second best honey
      flow. She finally absconded after the last inspection after reducing the
      colony to only two bar's worth. (I found out that this shut down is a
      "thrifty" characteristic of Russians as an adaptation to long and severe
      subarctic winters - completely unecessary in our mild climate.)

      I have not had to excise drone to control varroa this year - I attribute
      this to the improved wild stock and improved hives. There also seems to be
      far fewer drones produced than was the case in my first colony, even though
      one of my queens was captured from a swarm in my own yard from a colony that
      had been obtained from a patio speaker - this is at least her second
      swarming, yet she is very productive and her worker bees are quite gentle.
      The hive she left behind is also doing well, and unlike her Italian looking
      bees, these are all dark Yugoslavian types - probably because my neighbor
      (abut 100 meters away) keeps ten Langsroths of commercialy bred Yugos. I
      obtained 7 kilos of honey from three bars from this hive in August - this
      after a very poor spring due to cool wet weather.

      With these latest colonies and hives I do not see the crawling or deformed
      bees that were present with the first colony. (Crawling bees are suspected
      to be a symptom of tracheal mites - I would sometimes count two or three
      dozen.)

      *** New bar designs ***

      The latest bar designs have proven sucessful in limited test use. I will be
      using complete sets of each next spring for swarm introduction to see how
      they work in full use.

      The "simple bar", as suggested from reading the web, is for fabrication
      without power tools. It uses waxed string on simple wood slats. See
      "http://www.ccdemo.info/GardenBees/SimpleBar/SimpleBar.html".

      The "webless bar", my own invention, is very easy to make with simple power
      tools - it requires neither fabrication nor any difficult or dangerous power
      tool cuts. For a picture, this is similar to the bar on the left in the
      picture
      "http://www.ccdemo.info/GardenBees/CK5/04Blank&FinBarEnd320Wx240H.jpg", but
      the cuts are angled at 20 degrees to form a keystone profile (wide end down
      when in the hive) to make it even easier for the bees to hang.

      *** New hive design ***

      My latest hive design (a 30 degree vented Kenyan, similar to CK5) uses wood
      board construction in an attempt to use materials easily obtained
      commercialy in the U.S.A. The material cost for a complete hive body with
      legs and bars should be less than $35.00, plus whatever is spent on a roof.
      I will be publishing this in a few months.

      Best wishes for success to all.

      Leonard.

      on 1/9/04 11:52 PM, Sasha at mrkflux@... wrote:

      > Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:25:43 -0400
      > From: "Jorge Murillo Yepes" <murillos@...>
      > Subject: Re: anybody here?
      >
      > Hi, Sasha, Nice to hear from you!!!!! Would you tell us more about your TBH?
      > And, where in Serbia do you live?
      > I live in Grenada , in the Caribbean and utilize old fridges, air conditioning
      > casings and old steel drums cut in half lengthwise to make my TBHs.
      > Let's talk!!!!!
      > Best regards,
      > Jorge
      >

      > Hi there on the sunny Caribbean seas,there is a heaven for bees i presume.
      > Shortly my tbh are made from wood like ordinary langstrot hives but with
      > appropriate dimensions for a tbh(according to the author of the "mother" of
      > all tbh web sites James D. Satterfield site).I cant remember the exactly
      > dimensions of my tbh since I have worked on them last winter and I am a
      > little bad in remembering numbers,but the dimmensions are about 80cm x 40cm x
      > 25cm.
      > I have jumped in the world of tbh because I like the idea,I have a bit of
      > simplistic taste and was very excited with the idea.I am a very young
      > beekeeper with very little practical experience with bees,and I also tend to
      > think in line of organic beekeeping,if that is posible these days.That is a
      > big problem here because of the varroa mite.Beekeepers here are slowly
      > changing into anti insect chemical warfare experts.That is not compatible
      > with my views.I guess you work with africanised honey bee?
      > I like your approach with using old items for hives / hives are only cavities
      > for bees/ bees can also survive without any hive especially in your region.
      > How many hives do you have ,are you a pro or a hobbyst?
      >
      > I live in a small town Sombor,that is close to hungarian and croatian border
      > about 20 km in each direction.I guess you didnt think i live in Siberia in
      > Russia.It is Serbia like Kosovo,Bosnia etc.
      > All I know about Grenada is that you have experienced something similar in
      > terms of war.
      > What do you think about tbh,are you satisfied with them?
      >
      > Sasha
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic