Hills., Teaching Tools Bfast Fundraiser 9/19 (DATE CORRECTION)

  • Dena Gross Leavengood
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2013
      Dear Friends – You are invited!  I will be hosting a table at the upcoming Hillsborough Education Foundation Teaching Tools Breakfast on Thursday, September 19, 2013, at 7 a.m.   Please join us!  (See the Invitation and Fact Sheet, below, for details.)

      FYI, there is no cost to attend.  However, it is our hope that you will be so inspired by the work being done, and the people involved, that you will join us in supporting our efforts to help students succeed in school!

      I you would love to have you join me at my table.  If you would like to be my guest, please RSVP to me at dleaveng@... or 813-220-8425 by September 7th, if at all possible.

      I look forward to welcoming you to the bright new world of Teaching Tools!

      Dena Gross Leavengood
      Community Advocate
      Facilitator/Listserve Moderator
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TomorrowMatters-TampaBay/
      dleaveng@...
      813-220-8425

      "Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world.
      In fact, it is the only thing that ever has."
      - Margaret Mead

      Join me for Breakfast and help students succeed in school!

      Hillsborough Education Foundation

      http://www.educationfoundation.com/

      Annual Teaching Tools Breakfast
      Thursday, September 19, 2013
      7 a.m. – Registration & Networking
      7:30 – 8:30 a.m. – Breakfast & Program
      Hilton Tampa Downtown (formerly the Hyatt)
      211 N. Tampa Street
      Tampa

      Please RSVP to Dena Leavengood at dleaveng@... or 813-220-8425 by September 5th.

      Thank you for supporting our goal to help each student succeed!

      For more information contact:  Laura Grucza at (813) 574-0279 or lgrucza@...

      Presenting by: Brighthouse Networks

      Subject: Hillsborough Education Foundation Teaching Tools Breakfast Fundraiser 9/12

      Teaching Tools for Hillsborough Schools

      The breakfast is free, but the funds we raise for classroom supplies will be priceless to hundreds of students.
      Help us ensure that they have the tools to succeed all year long by attending and making a donation at The Annual Teaching Tools Fundraising Breakfast.

      Can’t attend?  You can still help by donating online at EducationFoundation.com.  The important thing is to get involved.  Because together, we can achieve our goal of equipping 500 students with classroom supplies for an entire year.

      For more information contact Laura Grucza at 813-574-0279 or via email at Lgrucza@... , and visit EducationFoundation.com/AboutUs/Tools4Schools

      Hillsborough Education Foundation

      Mission Statement
      To engage business and community partners in the support of Hillsborough County Public Schools and the academic achievement of all its students.

      About Us
      For nearly 25 years, the Foundation has engaged individuals and businesses who share our passion for building a stronger Hillsborough County community through support of public education.

      Founded in 1988, we have advanced student achievement by investing nearly $90 million in our students and teachers. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, we rely on the generosity of individuals and businesses in the Tampa community to help us expand our programs and continue to serve more students and teachers.

      Facts at a Glance: Our Programs & Impact 2012
      • Making college a reality through scholarship financial assistance.
      • Provided scholarships to more than 300 students
      • Mentoring at-risk students in partnership with Take Stock in Children and AmeriCorps Graduation Pathways.
      • Serving 550 students with the goal of reduced dropout rates and increased college preparedness
      • Enabling teachers with the most economically challenged students to provide them with necessary school supplies.
      • Distributed more than $2 million in free school supplies to more than 60,000 students; more than $13 million since 2002
      • Funding teacher grants to engage and excite students in the process of learning.
      • Awarded more than $200,000 in grants so teachers may implement classroom initiatives not covered by a typical school budget
      • Providing tuition assistance and scholarships for students in Career and Technical Education
      • Support students on the fast track to a wide range of high-wage, high-skill, high demand careers to gain certification and graduate work force ready, or, pursue a two-year associate’s degree
      • Supporting teacher excellence through enhanced learning, scholarships, and recognition.
      • Conduct annual awards ceremony recognizing outstanding educators and personnel
      • Offer unique learning opportunities through the new Teaching Excellence Lecture Series
      • Provide tuition assistance to help teachers receive certification as a National Board Certified Teacher, a proven measure of teacher quality above and beyond state teacher licensing
      Teaching Tools for Hillsborough Schools: FAQ

      Q: What is Teaching Tools?
      A: The Teaching Tools for Hillsborough Schools program provides critical learning resources year-round to economically disadvantaged students. The program allows teachers from Title I schools the opportunity to shop for free school supplies to distribute to their students in need. The program reaches more than 60,000 at-risk students annually, and since 2002 more than $13.1 million in learning and literacy resources have been distributed to students in Title I schools in Hillsborough County.

      Top 6 Items Needed by Hillsborough County Public School Students
      • Colored Pencils
      • Filler Paper
      • Scissors
      • #2 Pencils
      • Crayons
      • Markers
      Q: What is a Title I School?
      A: Title I is a federal designation which signifies that 75% or more of the students in the school qualify for the free and reduced lunch program. This means that 75% or more of the students at the school are considered economically disadvantaged. Currently 56% of the public schools in Hillsborough County are Title I. That’s 151 Title I schools, and the Teaching Tools program serves 120 of these schools.

      Q: How does the program work?
      A: The Teaching Tools Store is 1 of 35 stores of its kind across the nation, and is the only one in Hillsborough County. The program allows teachers from 120 Title I schools monthly shopping trips at the Teaching Tools Store, where they collect approximately $200 of free supplies to bring back to their classrooms. Teachers outside of the designated schools may shop in the store free of charge in exchange for completing a 3 hour volunteer shift. The available supplies include materials such as:
      • Pencils
      • Office supplies
      • Paper
      • Personal Care Items
      • Books
      • Notebooks
      • Crayons
      • Backpacks
      • Glue
      • Scissors
      • Books
      • Dried Foods
      Q: Where do the supplies come from?
      A: The Teaching Tools Store is stocked through donations from individuals and local businesses, purchases with donated funds, and partnerships with organizations such as the Kids in Need Foundation, Metropolitan Minstries, Target, Staples, and Walgreens.

      Q: Why should I get involved?
      A: Without the Teaching Tools program thousands of Hillsborough County Public School students may enter the classroom without the basic supplies for learning. These students, through no fault of their own, are placed at an academic disadvantage if they are not provided with the essential resources for success. Without the Teaching Tools Store the teachers of these students are often forced to
      purchase classroom supplies out of their own paychecks, further diminishing their already restrictive budgets. With your support, we can ensure that every student in Hillsborough County has the tools to succeed in the classroom from the first day of school to the last.

      Q: How do I get involved?
      A: You can donate supplies, volunteer in the Store, get involved with our Teaching Tools Annual Fundraising Breakfast, or donate online at EducationFoundation.com.

      Like us on Facebook for updates about Teaching Tools and other Foundation programs at Facebook.com/EducationFoundation

      Interested in volunteering?
      Contact Denise Becker at DBecker@... or (813) 574-0287.

      Facts
      n 56% of Hillsborough County Public Schools are classified as Title I. This means that more than 75% of the students at these schools are considered economically disadvantaged.
      n The average cost of a back pack filled with the necessary supplies is $75 (Based on the requested supply list for a Hillsborough County Public Schools 4th grader)
      n Research supports that lack of adequate classroom supplies has a direct impact on teacher morale and retention.
      n 99.5% of teachers purchase basic school supplies for their students out of pocket.*
      n Teacher’s out of pocket spending on classroom supplies has increased 10% since the 2009-2010 school year.* (*Based the 2012 -2013 study by the National School Supply and Equipment Association.)

      Product Distributed Since 2002
      • 1,298,844 pencils
      • 341,883 books
      • 968,214 crayons
      • 101,924 notebooks
      • 24,517 reams of copy paper
      • 50,058 backpacks
      Total Value of Supplies - $13.1 million and counting as of April 2013

      Teacher Testimonials
      • “This has been a tremendous blessing to my students. I have been able to save a great deal of money.”  –Arnetta Holland, Oak Grove Elementary
      • “D.W. Waters’ students could not excel without the help of Teaching Tools. Thanks!” –Veronica Morgan, D.W. Waters Career Center
      • “My students love the incentive items that I get each month from Teaching Tools. It’s amazing how much they appreciate these treasures!” – Darcy House, Foster Elementary
      • “I love this place! It has been a blessing for my students and me. No more having to by glue sticks, paper, notebooks and more! I only have positive things to say about Teaching Tools.” –Teresa Roy, Jackson Elementary
      Student Testimonials
      • “Thank you for providing me the supplies I need to succeed in school. Without these supplies I wouldn’t be able to accomplish my school work or make it to college.” –Jimmy Luu
      • “Thank you very much for giving me this opportunity. It is a big relief on both me and my mother as “back to school” is always a rough time financially. Hillsborough Education Foundation has changed my life and my future and my goals.” –Trisha Carman
      • “Thank you so much for the free supplies. School shopping is so expensive and you just made it a lot easier on my family. Thanks so much for the support, I sincerely appreciate it.” –Vrosie Noel
      Here’s how your donation will make a difference:
      • $75 buys a stocked back-to-school backpack
      • $225 supports 1 student for 1 year (only $18.75 per month)
      • $1125 supports 5 students for 1 year (just $93.75 per month)
      • $4500 supports an entire classroom for 1 year (20 students)
      Store Location
      2306 N. Howard Ave.
      Tampa, Fl 33607

      Laura Grucza