TB, ANYTOWN Youth Leadership Training DEADLINE

  • Dena Gross Leavengood
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2013
      Subject: ANYTOWN Applications NEEDED for Classes this Summer 2013!
      Community Tampa Bay

      Thank you for forwarding this e-mail to any partners, individuals, or youth, you feel would be interested in attending ANYTOWN™, either this class or future ones!

      The deadline for ANYTOWN™ applications for the upcoming class was yesterday,  but we will continue accepting applications until all the sessions are fullPreference, however, will be given to applications submitted by the deadline.

      If you have not done so already, please follow us on Twitter @CommunityTB and/or “like” us on Facebook www.facebook.com/CommunityTampa .

      HIGH SCHOOL YOUTH WANTED….ANYTOWN™ recruitment starts NOW!

      We envision a community free from all forms of discrimination.

      “It wasn't until I went through Anytown that I actually began to feel like I was somebody and that I could make a difference in my community”.

              -Stephanie, ANYTOWN™ Graduate

      ANYTOWN™ is a youth leadership and diversity education program, geared towards creating more inclusive and just schools and communities through experiential education and youth-adult partnerships.  This unique program begins with a 5 day, 4 night residential component in the summer, and continues with 5 skill building trainings throughout the following year, and at least 1 culminating inclusive community project.  The residential portion will be held at Eckerd College for high school students from Pinellas and Hillsborough Counties.   Recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as a “best practice” and deemed ‘highly effective’ in a recent USF study, the delegates call the program “life changing!”  Students pay $125 toward the fees associated with the program. All other program fees, accommodations, meals, transportation and materials, (over $1700 for the year) are provided by Community Tampa Bay with generous support from local foundations, businesses, schools and individuals. Students who cannot afford the $125 fee can request a waiver. This is the only local program that addresses both youth leadership development and diversity awareness.

      ANYTOWN™ graduates chose to lead in many forms including: addressing the FL Children and Youth Cabinet seeking more youth inclusion in decision making;  planning and implementing community youth summits and conferences, serving on the Community Tampa Bay Board, and leading university clubs that promote respect and diversity at: USF, FSU, and UF and countless other acts, large and small.

      Building a community takes partnerships and there are two ways you can help make our community more inclusive:

      ·         Identifying and recruiting emerging student leaders ages 14-18 to participate in our ANYTOWN™ program beginning this summer.  Each class is composed of 60 delegates and 20 volunteers selected to create a diverse community committed to inclusion. The application can also be found on our website: www.communitytampabay.org.   We have a waitlist each year so apply early!

      ·         We can reserve spots for youth you select through a special partnership agreement with your agency.   We would welcome an invitation to visit your organization to make a presentation for audiences of 15 or more

      Tom Earl

      AmeriCorps* VISTA Program Assistant

      Community Tampa Bay™ | 1499 Beach Drive, SE, Unit C | St. Petersburg, Florida 33701 | 727.568.9333

      Promoting Dialogue - Cultivating Leaders - Changing Communities