URGENT ACTION: Transportation & Conservation 4/2

  • Dena Gross Leavengood
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2013
      1000 Friends of Florida
      YOU ARE MEMBERS OF AN E-MAIL LIST COMPOSED OF PEOPLE OF DIVERSE BACKGROUNDS, ALL OF WHOM HAVE REQUESTED TO BE ON THIS LIST AND TO RECEIVE INFORMATION REGARDING COMMUNITY AND SUSTAINABILITY ISSUES. YOU MAY REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THIS LIST BY UNSUBSCRIBING AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE.

      MATERIALS FORWARDED ARE FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY AND DO NOT REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF ANY INDIVIDUALS AND/OR ORGANIZATIONS UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED. PLEASE PROTECT THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF NAMES/ADDRESSES ON THIS MAILING LIST UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED. THANK YOU.

      From: 1000 Friends of Florida  friends@...
      Subject: URGENT ACTION:  Call to oppose two bills coming up for vote at 4 p.m. on Tuesday

      1000 Friends of Florida

      2013 Florida Legislative Session  http://www.1000friendsofflorida.org/connecting-people/florida-legislature/2013-florida-legislative-session/

      URGENT ACTION:  Call or e-mail these Senate Committees by 4 p.m., Tuesday, April 4:
      • Transportation:  OPPOSE SB972.  OBJECT to this bill because it curtails local governments ability to deal with transportation impacts associated with new development.
      • Environmental Preservation & Conservation:  OPPOSE SB584.  It calls for a moratorium on all future local and state land acquisition programs unless other state lands are sold.
      Details & contact information below.

      Your Calls & E-mails Are Needed!
      Two Key Bills Up for a Vote on Tuesday, April 4 at 4:00 PM.

      Please take a minute to call or email members of two Senate Committees and let them know your opposition to two separate bills up for a vote on Tuesday, April 4 at 4:00 p.m.:

      Transportation Planning:
      SB972 will be heard in the Senate Transportation Committee on Tuesday, April 2 at 4:00 p.m. 1000 Friends of Florida continues to OBJECT to this bill because it curtails local governments ability to deal with transportation impacts associated with new development. It is important to let members of the this committee know that this would MANDATE (1) local governments choosing to retain transportation concurrency to include a “pay and go” provision and (2) that those choosing to opt out of transportation concurrency in favor of some alternative, such as mobility fees, must also include a “pay and go” provision. Pay and go means that if a developer is willing to pay a proportionate share of the cost to make improvements, the local government is prohibited from denying a project solely due to transportation impacts. We have argued that this decision should be made by each local government, and not mandated as a one-size-fits-all solution. Please contact the members of the Senate Transportation Committee http://www.1000friendsofflorida.org/connecting-people/florida-legislature/2013-florida-legislative-session/senate-transportation-committee/ today. Let them know you OPPOSE SB972 and that you prefer your local government to make this choice, not Tallahassee!

      Land Conservation:
      SB584 will be heard in the Senate Environmental Preservation and Conservation Committee tomorrow, Tuesday, April 2, at 4:00. In its current form, it calls for a moratorium on all future local and state land acquisition programs unless other state lands are sold. We have previously asked you to contact the sponsor, Senator Hayes. Now it is important to contact the members of the Senate Environmental Preservation and Conservation Committee to indicate why you OPPOSE SB584:
      1. A moratorium on local and state land conservation programs is not acceptable, especially when Florida is beginning to emerge from the recession;
      2. Such a provision contradicts the long-standing policy, as found in Florida Forever, that as we grow we need to protect and preserve our natural areas;
      3. This is especially important for funding the Florida Communities Trust program under Florida Forever that assists local government in buying parks and recreations areas to serve growing populations;
      4. The senate should take the budget for Florida Forever that the House has proposed, including funding for the Rural and Family Lands Protection Act; and,
      5. So long as no moratorium is associated with it, more dollars should be included for land management.
      We appreciate your support. To find out more about key legislation being considered this session, please visit the 2013 Florida Legislature page on our website, sign up for 1000 Friends of Florida’s email alerts, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

      Senate Transportation Committee

      Chair:  Senator Jeff Brandes (St. Petersburg-R), Capitol #:850-487-5022,  District #: 727-552-2745                        brandes.jeff.web@...

      Vice Chair:  Senator Gwen Margolis (Miami-D), Capitol #:850-487-5053,  District #: 305-571-5777               margolis.gwen.web@...

      Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla (Miami-R), Capitol #:850-487-5040,  District #:  305-643-7200                  portilla.miguel.web@...

      Senator Jeff Clemens (Lake Worth-D), Capitol #:850-487-5027,  District #: 561-540-1140                              clemens.jeff.web@...

      Senator Greg Evers (Pensacola-D), Capitol #:850-487-5002,  District #: 850-595-0213                      evers.greg.web@...

      Senator Rene Garcia (Hialeah-R), Capitol #:850-487-5038,  District #:  305-364-3100                      garcia.rene.web@...

      Senator Arthenia Joyner (Tampa-D), Capitol #:850-487-5019,  District #:  813-233-4277                 joyner.arthenia.web@...

      Senator Tom Lee (Brandon-R), Capitol #:850-487-5024,  District #: 813-653-7061                           lee.tom.web@...

      Senator Garrett Richter (Naples-R), Capitol #:850-487-5023,  District #: 239-417-6205                     richter.garrett.web@...

      Senator Geraldine Thompson (Orlando-D), Capitol #:850-487-5012,  District #: 407-245-1511                       thompson.geraldine.web@...

      Senate Environmental Preservation & Conservation Committee

      Chair:  Senator Charles Dean (Inverness-R), Capitol #:850-487-5005,  District #: 352-860-5175                     dean.charles.web@...

      Vice Chair:  Senator Joseph Abruzzo (Wellington-D), Capitol #:850-487-5025,  District #:  561-791-4774 abruzzo.joseph.web@...

      Senator Thad Altman (Melbourne-R), Capitol #:850-487-5016,  District #: 321-752-3138                                altman.thad.web@...

      Senator Dwight Bullard (Cutler Bay-D), Capitol #:850-487-5039,  District #:  305-234-2208                            bullard.dwight.web@...