Wimauma, Three Kings Celebration 1/7

  • Dena Gross Leavengood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2012
      From: Alayne Unterberger  alayne@...
      Subject: Three Kings Celebration in Wimauma 1/7

      The Florida Institute for Community Studies (FICS)

      Thank you for forwarding this message!.... We still need donations – can you help?

      PRESS RELEASE

      For immediate release, December 30, 2011
      Contact person: Alayne Unterberger, 813.477.2882

      On the 6th Day of Christmas….we invite you to the Twelfth Annual Three Kings Celebration on January 7, 2012 at Wimauma's Iglesia de Guadalupe

      Wimauma, FL –  Epiphany or Three Kings’ Day is celebrated on the twelfth day after the birth of Jesus on the 6th of January of each year.  Today is the 6th Day of Christmas and we actually have seven more to go before we celebrate our local version of the event at the Guadalupe Church, 16650 US HWY 301 S, Wimauma, FL 33598 on Saturday, January 7, 2012 beginning at 11 AM.  This unique cultural event involves four churches, with youth from all participating in their interpretations of the season’s spirit.  In 2000, we began celebrating Three Kings’ Day as a way for immigrant farmworker families to teach their children about their most cherished memories growing up in Mexico and Central America.  Now twelve years later, we recognize that Santa Claus can co-exist with the Three Kings because they bring different messages.  Epiphany or Three Kings Day is really about revering children and their potential, with adults acting as “kings” bringing gifts to the young.  We invite the press and public to witness the power of community-wide heritage sharing as a way to build strength in our community.

      Garcia’s Bakery in Wimauma is donating the traditional ROSCA, a special bread made only for Epiphany, which will be distributed at the event by our own Three Kings (Baltazar, Melchor and Gaspar). Toys, shoes and books were donated by many organizations, including: the Metropolitan Ministries, the Ronald McDonald House and the Independent in Seminole Heights.  We would appreciate any last minute donations, especially for youth ages 11 to 16These tax deductible gifts* (see below can be dropped off at our FICS Multicultural Family Center at 6704 Hanley Road, Tampa FL  33634 or call us at 813.249.8100 to arrange pick up.

      The Florida Institute for Community Studies (FICS) facilitates these events as part of our Strategic Plan for South County, however, the event is planned and )made possible by the South County FICS Community Advisors Project of and our partners at Iglesia Ministerios, Iglesia de Dios Elim, Our Lady of Guadalupe Church and Ronald McDonald House.

      Join us!  FICS partners with communities to help them achieve their goals through research, service, education and training.  Join our cause on Facebook or by volunteering: www.ficsinc.org

      ***We are still taking donations!  We would be very grateful for any donations of toys, especially educational games, jewelry making kits, soccer balls, footballs and/or nicer clothing.  Donations are tax deductible to FICS and can be dropped off at our FICS Multicultural Family Center @ 6704 Hanley Road, Tampa FL  33634 or picked up by calling 813.249.8100.

      --
      Alayne Unterberger, PhD Florida Institute for Community Studies (FICS) PO Box 16745 Tampa FL 33687 813.249.8100 Community. Activism. Research. Education.