ACTION ALERT! Ag Land Use & Wetlands Permitting Threats

  • Dena Gross Leavengood
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008
      YOU ARE MEMBERS OF AN E-MAIL LIST COMPOSED OF PEOPLE OF DIVERSE BACKGROUNDS, ALL OF WHOM HAVE REQUESTED TO BE ON THIS LIST AND TO RECEIVE INFORMATION REGARDING COMMUNITY, NATURAL RESOURCE AND SUSTAINABILITY ISSUES.  YOU MAY REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THIS LIST BY UNSUBSCRIBING AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS E-MAIL MESSAGE.

      MATERIALS FORWARDED ARE FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY AND DO NOT REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF ANY INDIVIDUALS AND/OR ORGANIZATIONS UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED.  PLEASE PROTECT THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF NAMES/ADDRESSES ON THIS MAILING LIST UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.  THANK YOU.
       ---------------------------------

      Subject: URGENT ALERT! Local Government Control of Ag Land Use & Wetlands Permitting Under Attack this week

      LEGISLATIVE ALERT

      From: Denise Layne

                  Coalition 4 Responsible Growth, Inc.

                  www.c4rg.com

                  813-246-0485

      URGENT ACTION:  The following bills are detrimental to the Tampa Bay area and statewide.  They will be heard over the next few days.  Please contact legislators ASAP (additional bill details & contact info below).

      I.    HB 1173/SB 2246:  Land Development Regulations (Ag Enclave/Land Use)

      MESSAGE:  This should be handled in a local bill – not a statewide general bill.  Don’t take land use decisions away from local government on agricultural lands – this will NOT protect or help retain our agricultural communities.  This is a rapid move toward developing ag lands.  VOTE NO ON THIS BILL!

      II.    HB 761/SB 2060:  Agriculture Bills (Wetlands Permitting)

      MESSAGE:  Don’t take away local control of wetlands on agricultural lands – regulation or enforcement.  This nasty bill continues last year’s amendment trying to take away local control of wetlands!  In Hillsborough County, our Environmental Protection Commission has been working with our Ag community to streamline process, including obtaining delegation from the state and federal agencies so there will be truly one stop shopping for all wetlands permitting.  Please vote NO on this bill!

      After 4 weeks of session, a few bills NEED YOUR URGENT ATTENTION!  This week the following bills need your emails to STOP them!!!!!!!  (You can put “Vote NO on HB or SB ---“ in the Subject line to each legislator – they count numbers not necessarily content.)

      THE FOLLOWING ARE BILLS DETRIMENTAL TO THE TAMPA BAY AREA, IF NOT THE WHOLE STATE:

      I.          HB 1173/SB 2246:  Land Development Regulations – BOTH OF THESE BILLS ARE IN COMMITTEE/COUNCIL THIS WEEK!!!!!

                  These two beauties go a step further than the Agricultural Enclave bill passed a few years ago, which said that ag lands surrounding 75% of their borders with densities, get to develop like the surrounding densities.  This Ag Enclave bill is as a result of a Palm Beach County property that the local government can’t define “surrounding”.  So, they’re back with teeth saying that you get to:

      1.                  Average a three mile radius of densities as an entitlement on your ag enclave property;

      2.                  Local governments have no control over land use on these ag enclave lands;

      3.                  If the local government does interfere, (I’m not sure about the public for that matter) it will be considered an undue burden under Bert Harris Act and they can be sued.

      Both of these bills were “TP’d” (temporarily passed, which means tabled) last week in each committee.

      Great, so local control over ag lands (meeting certain criteria that is weak at best) will be taken away over land use decisions.  I would think our Commissioners would want to defend their turf!  Or not?  What in the world has this community been fighting for if the State will take away local power?

      Our message:

                  This should be handled in a local bill – not a state-wide general bill.  Don’t take land use decisions away from local government on agricultural lands – this will NOT protect or help retain our agricultural communities.  This is a rapid move toward developing ag lands.  VOTE NO ON THIS BILL!

      HB 1173 is on tomorrow – Wednesday’s agenda in Environment & Natural Resources Council at 8:30 am.  Click here http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Committees/committeesdetail.aspx?SessionId=57&CommitteeId=2338 to go to Council webpage with links to the following Council members:

      Representatives:

      Mayfield, Stan (R) Chair

      Troutman, Baxter G. (R)  Vice Chair

      Brandenburg, Mary (D)  Democratic Ranking Member

      Boyd, Debbie (D)

      Culp, Faye B. (R)

      Glorioso, Richard (R)

      Grimsley, Denise (R)

      Kendrick, Will S. (R)

      Kreegel, Paige (R)

      Kriseman, Rick (D)

      Machek, Richard A. (D)

      Nelson, Bryan (R)

      Poppell, Ralph (R)

      Precourt, Stephen L. (R)

      Randolph, Scott (D)

      Sasso III, Anthony P. (D)

      Williams, Trudi K. (R)

      SB 2246 is in the Agriculture Committee Thursday, April 3rd at 9:00 am.

        Committee member contact links:

      http://www.flsenate.gov/cgi-bin/View_Page.pl?Tab=committees&Submenu=1&File=index.html&Directory=committees/senate/ag/

      Members:

      II.         HB 761/SB 2060:  Agriculture Bills (Wetlands)

                  These bills add two words, “and enforce” to what local governments cannot do to bona fide ag lands.  When you read this section you will see that not only are local governments not allowed to regulate ERP permitting (wetlands), but they can’t enforce local regulations currently in place.  This would take control of wetlands on ag land totally away from our EPC and elected officials and public decision making.  The Senate bill hasn’t been heard in a committee or council yet, but HB 761 has been through two public hearings (just passed the Environment and Natural Resources Council last week, and probably going to Policy & Budget Council this week).

      Our message:

      Don’t take away local control of wetlands on agricultural lands – regulation or enforcement.  This nasty bill continues last year’s amendment trying to take away local control of wetlands!  In Hillsborough County, our Environmental Protection Commission has been working with our Ag community to streamline process, including obtaining delegation from the state and federal agencies so there will be truly one stop shopping for all wetlands permitting.  Please vote NO on this bill!

      Although I haven’t seen the agenda yet for the House’s Policy & Budget Council – this council is meeting from 8 am to 2 pm this Thursday This Council link http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Committees/committeesdetail.aspx?SessionId=57&CommitteeId=2358 will provide you with the list of House council members below which you can click onto and email directly

      Representatives:

      Mayfield, Stan (R)  Vice Chair
      Seiler, John P. (D)  Democratic Ranking Member