Crystal R., Manatee Expeditions 2/14+

  • Dena Gross Leavengood
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2008
      From: "The Ocean Conservancy" <ocean-alert@...>
      Subject: Join Us for a Manatee Expedition 2/14-15 or 2/14-15

      The Ocean Conservancy
      http://www.oceanconservancy.org/

      Show your love for manatees this Valentine's Day!

      Have you ever wanted to see manatees up close and in person? If so, then you won't want to miss out on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Spend the day with us observing endangered Florida manatees in their native habitat in the warm winter waters of Crystal River, Florida.

      Our boat trip will take you to various springs in Crystal River to view manatees and other wildlife in their natural habitat. The Ocean Conservancy's marine wildlife expert, Jessica Koelsch, will be joining us to share her knowledge of manatees. Ms. Koelsch is our Marine Wildlife Program Manager in the Southeast Atlantic Regional office in St. Petersburg, Florida and spearheads our work to conserve endangered Florida manatees, sea turtles and other marine mammals.

      When: February 13 -14 (another trip is available on Feb. 14 - 15)
      Where: Crystal River, Florida
      Bonus: Join us the evening before the boat trip for an informal presentation on the Ecology and Conservation of Florida Manatees.
      Cost: $75 per person due with registration.

      There are only 20 spots available per day for this unique trip, so please register right away.  For more information on the trip, please visit our web site at:
      http://www.oceanconservancy.org/site/R?i=h3AHx6UNbDlRovM3rNMFJg.. or call 727-895-2188 extension 6610 or send an email to floridatrips@....

      The expedition will be held rain or shine. For their safety, all children must be accompanied by an adult.

      For more information on lodging and travel, please visit our website at:
      http://www.oceanconservancy.org/site/R?i=jJECAL_10E2W3m1-8BpRQw..

      We hope you will be able to attend this very special expedition.

      Kathryn Novak
      Regional Outreach Manager, Ocean Conservancy

      Sign up to receive emails from Ocean Conservancy:  http://www.oceanconservancy.org/site/R?i=1WL9ZZxc0-vldjE3UHgZWA.

      Manatee Expedition (Trip #1)
      Crystal River, Florida
      Have you ever wanted to see manatees up close and in person? Then join us to observe Florida manatees in their native habitat, the warm winter waters of Crystal River, Florida. This unique opportunity for a first-hand, passive encounter* with manatees makes this trip one of our most popular adventures.

      When: February 13 -14 (another trip is available on Feb. 14 - 15)
      Evening reception 7-9pm on February 13.
      Boat trip 8am-12pm on February 14.
      Where: Crystal River, Florida

      Major Activities:
      • Boat trip to various springs in Crystal River to view manatees and other wildlife in their natural habitat. You can snorkel or stay on the boat -- both are excellent ways to passively observe the manatees.
      • Informal presentation on the Ecology and Conservation of Florida Manatees the evening before you observe them in their natural habitat.
      • Natural History Expert: Jessica Koelsch
        Ms. Koelsch is The Ocean Conservancy’s Marine Wildlife Project Manager in our Southeast Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico Regional office in St. Petersburg, Florida and spearheads our work to conserve endangered Florida manatees, sea turtles and other marine mammals. She works closely with agencies and other organizations to promote the recovery of endangered and threatened populations.

      Cost: $75 per person due with registration. There are only 20 spots available per day for this unique trip, so please register right away. Call 727-895-2188 extension 6610 or send an email to floridatrips@... for more information.

      Included: Natural History Presentations, pontoon boat ride, snacks on the boat, light snacks at evening reception, and a special gift from The Ocean Conservancy. Not included: Travel to and from your location to Crystal River, Florida, hotel accommodations, rental of snorkel equipment and/or wet suits (available on-site for a small additional cost), personal expenses such as telephone calls, hotel, gratuities, etc.

      Hotel information: Rooms have been reserved at The Best Western Crystal River Resort, 1-800-435-4409 or http://www.crystalriverresort.com/, at a discounted rate of $96 plus tax per night. To obtain the special rate, you must make your reservation by January 13, 2008. Ask for Frances and tell them you are with Ocean Conservancy’s manatee expedition.

      *More information: Ocean Conservancy practices "Passive Observation" and requires all participants to adhere to these guidelines. Event will be held rain or shine. All children must be accompanied by an adult.

      This event does not require an RSVP. Registered users can request event reminders.
      Register https://secure2.convio.net/toc/site/ConsProfileUser?NEXTURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.oceanconservancy.org%2Fsite%2FCalendar%2F2023466170%3Fview%3DDetail%26amp%3Bid%3D3081&JServSessionIdr004=fuhc9v58j2.app44b

      South Atlantic Regional Office
      Southeast Atlantic Regional Office
      449 Central Avenue, Suite 200
      St. Petersburg, FL 33701