Reef Ball Update/Vol Op

  • Dena Gross Leavengood
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2005
      From: "Todd Barber, John Walch, and Kathy Kirbo" reefball@...
      Subject: Reef Ball Update- Call for Volunteers

      1) We Need Skilled Volunteers for our Tsunami Coral Restoration Project in
      Thailand anytime during the month of April.  THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO HELP THE
      TSUNAMI VICTUMS IN THAILAND PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO LEARN ABOUT THIS VERY
      VERY IMPORTANT REEF BALL PROJECT BY GOING TO
      http://www.reefball.com/map/thailandprojectinfo/We%20Need%20Your%20Help.htm
      OR Visit
      www.reefball.org and click on How To Help.

      2) The St. Statia (Sint Eustatius) Reef Ball submerged breakwater and coral
      propagation/planting project has finished final design stages...go to our
      world mapping system and click on Sint Eustatius in the Carribean Sea.

      3) The Columbo Rotary Club of Sri Lanka has been approved for a Reef Ball
      Foundation grant to aid in Tsunami recovery.

      4) The Four Seasons Resort in the Maldives will use Reef Balls to create a
      snorkeling trail, as a platform to rescue corals damaged by dredging and to
      aid in erosion control.

      5) The Marine Park in Cancun near Isla Mujeres has contracted for 125 Reef
      Balls for biological enhancement.

      6) A Reef Ball Snorkeling Trail with a guest coral planting program will
      begin this summer on Nevis at the Four Seasons Resort.

      7) Tampa Bay watch reported absolute success for their submerged reef ball
      oyster bar for erosion control at Egland Air Force Base in Tampa.  The Reef
      Balls have 100% oyster cover after less than one year.  They sent us
      dramatic photos of this (email
      reefball@...) if you would like us
      to send you the pictures.

      8) 25 Reef Balls were used as Red Mangrove Planters last week on the east
      coast of Flordia.

      9) There is a Reef Ball project planned for May in Puerto Rico.

      10) Construction and depolyments continue in Australia this month.

      11) Monitoring of Reef Balls in Phuket, Thialand showed that Reef Balls
      survived the Tsunami impact and planted corals survived too.  This was
      amazing since coral head the size of houses where tossed around like dice.

      12) Todd Barber, Chairman of RBF, will be presenting on Reef Balls at the
      Beach Management Tourisum and the Coastal Environment Workshop in Miami on
      Wednesday, March 2nd.

      13) Kathy Kirbo, Executive Director of RBF, will represent RBF at the US
      Coral Reef Task Force Meeting in Washington DC on the 2nd & 3rd this week.

      14) Eternal Reefs has a deployment sceduled this week in Sarasota/Bradenton
      Florida.

      That's all for this week....or keep scrolling down for detailed information
      on the Thailand volunteer opportunity

      We Need Your Help With Thailand's Tsunami Coral, Reef & Livelihood Efforts

      The Reef Ball Foundation in association with the government of Thailand's
      Ministry of Natural Resources, Reef Ball Thailand, Racha and Racha Sea
      Masters needs your assistance with the Phuket Coral Rehabilitation project's
      post-tsunami work to aid in the environmental and economic recovery of the
      disaster affected Phuket region.

      What's up?

      The Reef Ball Foundation has been working in Thailand on a Coral restoration
      project on Racha Island, just south of Phuket since before the Tsunami.  The
      Tsunami made a real mess of the corals in the bay and so we have been
      invited by our local team (Racha Resort, Seamaster Divers and Reef Ball
      Thailand) and the Prime Minister, Khun Thaksin Shinawatra, and Minister for
      the Environment Khun Suwit Khunkitti to expand our coral rescue, reef clean
      up, Crown of Thorns Starfish monitoring, reef rehabilitation/restructuring,
      livelihood restoration, Post-Tsunami bay management planning, buoy
      installation, MPA action planniung, coral propagation / coral genetic bank
      creation (This genetic bank consists of a Reef Ball for each type of coral
      we rescue / propagate with as many "families" of that type planted on the
      Reef Balls), scuba/dive trail formation, snorkeling trail formation,  and
      coral planting project.  We sent a team of 8 down last week to assess the
      situation and get everything set up for a full project the month of April.
      By April, 300 Reef Balls will be in place for the team to begin the coral
      propagation and restoration processes.  Located directly in front of the
      project area, the Racha Resort is a 5 star resort that is rebuilding it's
      dive center, and some damaged infrastructure and therefore is currently not
      open to the publicThis is a blessing for us as we can use the fantastic
      rooms for our own expert volunteer crews and they will provide the rooms and
      food free to all volunteers accepted for the project.  We hope to have a
      team of up to 60 volunteers during the month of April.

      There are several ways you can assist us in this urgent and important work.

      We are going to select people to go on the trip based on an email
      application system.  Basically, if you want to go, we need you to send us an
      email with 1) What talents you can offer (not necessary if you are already a
      Coral Team member since we already know this).  The more your unique talents
      are needed for the overall team, the more likely you will be selected, 2)
      What dates you can attend (working days are M-F during the entire month of
      April...the longer you can stay the more likely we will select you), 3) The
      amount of financial support you can provide or will need provided.  (I.E. if
      you are not already a coral team member, we suggest a donation of $2000/week
      stayed to the project to help cover project expenses/hotel costs/food/etc.
      and to support your application...but this might be in any form such as
      donated FF points for another team member, etc.  If you are a Coral Team
      Member or considered an Expert for the team, then tell us what you need to
      come (i.e. for us to cover airfare, expenses or stipends, etc.).  The higher
      your contribution or the lower the requirements the better chance you will
      have of getting selected.  Basically, this project needs to be self funded
      so we will need a balance of people donating verses experts that need some
      expenses covered.  Note: The Reef Ball Foundation has already funded over
      $50K in molds, coral propagation supplies, team visits, survey work, etc.
      and the opportunity to expand this project is based solely on the amount of
      financial support we can obtain from multiple sources.  If you can assist in
      fund raising for this very important project please contact our Executive
      Director, Kathy Kirbo at
      kkirbo@....

      Work will begin on the week of April 3rd and continue through the week of
      April 25th.  See the Reef Ball Calendar System (
      http://plus.calendars.net/reefball ) to view the latest schedule.
      Volunteers that are accepted are expected to post their travel schedules &
      Itineraries to this calendar system as well as emergency contact
      information.  You will be given a password and user id if accepted to the
      project.  If accepted, you need to send to John Walch (
      john@...) a
      jpeg file with your passport & dive certifications, immunization records and
      DAN insurance card.  Please indicate if you have any special health or diet
      needs.

      Those accepted and joining us in Thailand will be provided:

      Ground and sea transportation to project and hotel when we meet them in
      Phuket until their departure

      Full accommodations and meals for the duration of their stay at the 5 star
      Racha Sanctuary Resort on Koa Racha Yai

      Tanks & Weights, each volunteer must be dive certified to participate in
      diving activities.

      Laundry service

      Weekends off for leisure (Stay at Racha for free or venture to Phuket/ other
      excursions on your own).

      Applicants must be 18 years or older or accompanied by a parent or guardian
      and in good health and physical condition to handle the long hours and
      difficult work in hot conditions.

      You will be asked to sign a waiver of liability.  Contributions to the
      project to support your application are tax deductible in the US (Talk with
      your tax advisor to verify this) as a donation to a 501(c) 3 Public Charity.

      We have a "work hard, play hard" kind of culture.  There will be a private
      band for the group most nights, a volunteer room with snacks & drinks will
      be provided.  We expect to have Internet access in the volunteer room but
      since there is a lot of construction going on country wide don't count on
      that being too reliable.  Volunteers will get t-shirts, have the opportunity
      to enhance their Coral Team Certificates or to obtain one.  It will be an
      experience of a lifetime!

      Sorry this seems a bit complicated on short notice, but this is an emergency
      activation and we need to put together a top team quickly.corals that have
      been uprooted have a limited amount of time where they can be effectively
      saved.

      Please email...don't call...for needed details to keep things easier for us.

      John Walch (john@...) and Marjo Van Der Buick (Marjo@...)
      will be leading the team and Todd Barber will be overall project manager
      (
      reefball@...).

      Applications will be decided upon by a Reef Ball Foundation Committee on
      March 15th, all decisions final.  For VERY STRONG applications, we may be
      able to confirm you earlier to allow for better travel planning. We will
      continue to post detailed project information on our website under Thailand
      World Mapping System.  Found at
      http://www.reefball.com/map/thailand.htm
      and you can even see some pictures of the start of the project from the team
      visit last week.  This is a historic opportunity not only to help in the
      world's largest natural disaster in our lifetimes, but a great chance to
      help restore a, once beautiful, coral reef.

      The work environment is absolutely idea for our work.  Water is clear, there
      is an abundant supply of imperiled coral fragments (our team has done
      assessments and nursery work already), and we have already shipped by
      container all the supplies we will need.  We built a very advanced floating
      coral table & fragmenting/deployment station.  All you really need to bring
      is your own dive gear (underwater digital dive cameras are also encouraged).
       Talk with your team leaders about specialized equipment you might need for
      your particular specialty.  Our teams will be well organized in terms of the
      exact activities we will be performing each day...note, this is a team
      effort, not for individual yahoos..please coordinate everything through your
      team leaders.

      You will find travel, food and accommodations safe as the there has been
      substantial infrastructure rebuilding in Thailand.  We did not find a need
      for Malaria drugs.  Our teams did have a little trouble with email as the
      internet seemed to go down a lot with all the construction efforts.  Bottled
      water is provided.  Food was "staff quality" as the resort is not open.  Our
      hosts were VERY nice and helpful.  They are building a restaurant just for
      our team....will have a live band just for us every night...and of course
      you will get all the tanks of air you want.  The earliest applications will
      be favored so get yours in as soon as possible.

      If you can't go.... consider donating money or some frequent flyer miles to
      support another expert volunteer coming.  All donations are to a public
      charity and should be write offs for tax purposes (check with you tax
      advisor).

       Do you use  American Airlines? Whenever you book a flight, use the Reef
      Ball Business Extra #754011.
       You still get all your frequent flyer points and Reef Ball gets credit
      toward future flights!

      For more information on our CORAL TEAM see
      http://www.reefball.com/reefballcoalition/index.html

      To see a similar project we did last year go to
      http://www.reefball.com/map/antiguascience/antiguapressrelease.htm

      Last Updated

      3/1/2005 7:34:42 AM