Action Alert! FL Water Transfer Mtg 9/4

  • Dena Gross Leavengood
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2003

      YOU ARE MEMBERS OF AN E-MAIL LIST COMPOSED OF PEOPLE OF DIVERSE BACKGROUNDS, ALL OF WHOM HAVE REQUESTED TO BE ON THIS LIST AND TO RECEIVE INFORMATION REGARDING NATURAL RESOURCE AND SUSTAINABILITY ISSUES.  YOU MAY REMOVE YOURSELF FROM THIS LIST BY RETURN E-MAIL NOTICE.

      MATERIALS FORWARDED ARE FOR YOUR INFORMATION ONLY AND DO NOT REPRESENT THE VIEWS OF ANY INDIVIDUALS AND/OR ORGANIZATIONS UNLESS EXPRESSLY STATED.  PLEASE PROTECT THE CONFIDENTIALITY OF NAMES/ADDRESSES ON THIS MAILING LIST UNLESS OTHERWISE NOTED.  THANK YOU.
       ---------------------------------

      Subject: Please forward to your lists--Action Alert

      Please distribute widely!!!

      Action Alert: Stop the Water Grab!

      Florida’s five water management districts will be meeting this Thursday, September 4th at the Tampa Waterside Marriott Hotel to potentially discuss the proposed transfer of huge amounts of water from rivers and lakes in Northern Florida down to Southern Florida to fuel development.  The Sierra Club is organizing a rally against this at 2 p.m. on Florida Avenue in front of the Waterside Marriott.

      Problem:  The proposed water transfer will destroy many of Northern Florida ’s remaining natural treasures, especially the Suwanee River .  The transferred water will not increase the water security of established neighborhoods and communities, but will merely promote more sprawl and suburban development.  In addition to this water transfer, Florida ’s Department of Environmental Protection has plans to store untreated sewage underneath our aquifers, further polluting the scarce water supply that we already have.

      Solution:  Florida ’s water resources cannot support development indefinitely.  It is time to stop urban sprawl and to protect our remaining aquatic habitats here in Florida .

      Action:  Please join us at the rally in opposition to the water transfer plan this Thursday, September 4th at 2 p.m.  The rally will be outside of the Tampa Waterside Marriott Hotel, located at 700 South Florida Avenue in downtown Tampa .  We hope to see you all there!

      *For more information on this issue, please see Craig Pittman and Julie Hauserman’s August 10th article in the St. Petersburg Times (http://www.sptimes.com/2003/08/10/State/North_has_it__South_w.shtml).

      *Please direct any questions or comments to Josh Magee at 727-892-9274, or to the Sierra Club office at 727-824-8813.

      * We will also be having a poster-making night for the rally on Wednesday the 3rd from 6-9 p.m. at the Sierra Club office at 475 Central Avenue in downtown St. Petersburg .