Holy Mother Grammatica

  • Bruce A. Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 26, 2003
      For anyone who writes fanfiction, or is even contemplating writing fanfiction, I would recommend this site: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/5307/guide.htm.  Most of her examples are for fanfiction for THE SENTINEL, but the lessons are applicable to any fandom.

      Remember, the rules of grammar, spelling, and rhetoric were not just made up by your English teachers to torture you!
    • furmanforever
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 28, 2003
        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce A. Wilson"
        <brucewilson@c...> wrote:
        > For anyone who writes fanfiction, or is even contemplating writing
        fanfiction, I would recommend this site:
        http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/5307/guide.htm. Most of
        her examples are for fanfiction for THE SENTINEL, but the lessons are
        applicable to any fandom.

        > Remember, the rules of grammar, spelling, and rhetoric were not just
        made up by your English teachers to torture you!

        As an English teacher, I give that one a resounding AMEN!

        Just a thought... I've noticed in my students' compositions that a lot
        of their typing, spelling, punctuation, and other mechanical mistakes
        come from not taking a moment to read what they just wrote before they
        submit it. (Making mistakes is normal; not taking 2 seconds to
        proofread is just plain carelessness.) And although they are ESL
        students, I would venture to guess that the same is true for us native
        speakers. :-)

        There have been times when I've given up on reading a promising piece
        of fanfic because the sheer volume of careless mistakes was overwhelming.

        happy writing [and proofreading! :-) ]
        furmanforever
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 30, 2003
          Some time ago (I think it was on this list) we discussed the transliteration
          of accents and how tedious it could become for the reader if you had to wade
          through that for a whole book. And few writers do write entirely in an
          accent. But where they do, it is done deliberately, to create an effect, a
          sense of place, a sense of personality.

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2003
            Jack posted the 10,000th message in this group (wow, that's a lot of
            messages!). Does he get some sort of prize or something? :)

            furman

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 2, 2003
              Putty Medal, third class...

              Jack posted the 10,000th message in this group (wow, that's a lot of
              messages!). Does he get some sort of prize or something? :)

              furman

              --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
              > Some time ago (I think it was on this list) we discussed the
              transliteration
              > of accents and how tedious it could become for the reader if you had
              to wade
              > through that for a whole book. And few writers do write entirely in an
              > accent. But where they do, it is done deliberately, to create an
              effect, a
              > sense of place, a sense of personality.

            • Vinny
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2003