Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Aragorn/Arwen & Lúthien/Ber en

  • Tripleleo60@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2003
      Perhaps I was not quite clear enough when I said that she could not leave ME. My take is that (you're right) the question IS meaningless but because after giving up her "ride" out of ME Arwen had no way to travel to Valinor. Choices have consequences.

      Having said that, if Arwen HAD managed to hitch a ride across the Sundering Seas she would have been turned back at customs for lack of a valid visa (not the credit card! Wise guy!). (Since it can't be a serious question I saw no harm in getting a bit silly.)

      Sir Question of The Mark, K of T

      Aurë Entuluva

      In a message dated 11/5/03 7:30:08 AM Mountain Standard Time, brucewilson@... writes:
      I think you misunderstood the question.  I think the OP wanted to know if she had followed Elrond to Valinor and pined away there for Aragorn what would have happened.

      This question is a meaningless one, for (to quote Aslan) nobody is ever told what would have happened.  Yet, if I had to hazard a guess, I think she would have stayed in Mandos.  What happened to Luthien was a one-off.  Arwen's tragedy was that she had to part forever with either her father or her soulmate.  To give her that 'back door' of allowing her to go to Valinor with Elrond and then die and leave the Circles of the World to join Aragorn wherever Men's souls go--that would be a cop out.  "Having your cake and eating it too."