new song: Oh Woesome Ranger

  • Marta
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 29, 2003
      All right, I probably deserve to be taken out into the alley and
      shot for this offense against all things Tolkien, but...

      Here you go. The four hobbits on their way to Weathertop, pestering
      Strider and recounting their adventures. In four-part harmony. Yeah,
      that's right. (I suppose I can't complain, seeing as I adapted
      Dagorlad to a doo-wop beat.)

      :-D

      "Oh Woesome Ranger"

      (Sung by Pippin, Sam, Merry, and Frodo on the road to Weathertop; to
      the tune of "Flower of Scotland" -
      http://artists.mp3s.com/artist_song/3378/3378722.html )

      Pippin:
      Came to Bree-hill along the old road

      Sam:
      Met Strider, a man; thought him a rogue.

      Merry:
      Ponies fled in the night, 'twas a sore blow.

      Frodo:
      Woke up early, then the morning passed slow.

      All:
      Bought a pony from Bill; Barliman's woe.
      Dum-dum-dum-dum-dum . . . Oh, woesome Ranger,
      When will we reach fair Rivendell,
      Where elves yet dwell,
      Oh, that last homely house?

      Passed through the Chetwood,
      Then through the midge marsh...
      neeker-breekers abounded
      In that land harsh

      Four days we walked on;
      Wherever he would lead,
      you know we'd follow,
      We didn't take hede,
      For we did not have a choice

      That fearsome Ranger,
      Led us through wild land,
      Away from Riders--
      And all helping hands.

      We saw weathertop
      Far away 'gainst the hills.
      Sought for that path
      Made by men of old...
      And sought for Gandalf on top,

      Or if not him,
      Then some sign he lingered,
      That he had come this way,
      That he still drew breath.

      Three strokes, dots, and runes,
      They marked that one smooth stone
      Strider thought was a sign,
      But what did it mean?

      What did it mean? What did it mean?

      Marta
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 29, 2003
        Are you quite sure you mean Flower of Scotland? It doesn't seem to fit...

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 30, 2003
          --- Jack <jack@...> wrote:
          > Are you quite sure you mean Flower of Scotland? It
          > doesn't seem to fit...

          This specific "Flower of Scotland" is not the
          traditional song, I think -- more of a four-part
          harmony type thing. Sorry for the confusion.

          A friend of mine lent me a CD by this group (The
          Cories) when I was in England, and that's when I first
          heard this song. Only after I wrote these lyrics and
          went to MP3.com to get the link did I find out there
          were other, far different melodies for the song. You
          live, you learn.

          Marta

          =====
          With a sudden flick, quick as lighting, an apple left his hand and hit Bill square on the nose. He ducked too late, and curses came from behind the hedge. "Waste of a good apple," said Sam regretfully, and strode on. ("A Knife in the Dark", THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING)

          http://www.freewebz.com/aure/

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 30, 2003
            The lyrics to the Corries' song go:

            Oh Flower of Scotland
            When will we see your likes again?
            That fought and died for
            your wee bit hill and glen
            And stood against him
            Proud Edward's Army
            And sent him hamewards
            Tae think again

            I just can't fit your words into that tune - and I believe that it was
            written by The Corries, so I've no idea what the other versions might be!

            From: Marta [mailto:aure_enteluva@...]
            This specific "Flower of Scotland" is not the
            traditional song, I think -- more of a four-part
            harmony type thing. Sorry for the confusion.

            A friend of mine lent me a CD by this group (The
            Cories) when I was in England, and that's when I first
            heard this song. Only after I wrote these lyrics and
            went to MP3.com to get the link did I find out there
            were other, far different melodies for the song. You
            live, you learn.

            Marta

            =====
            With a sudden flick, quick as lighting, an apple left his hand and hit Bill
            square on the nose. He ducked too late, and curses came from behind the
            hedge. "Waste of a good apple," said Sam regretfully, and strode on. ("A
            Knife in the Dark", THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING)

            http://www.freewebz.com/aure/

          • Christina Tellifson
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 30, 2003
              Flower of Scotland?  What?  I'm a little confused, please clarify... the flower of Scotland is the thistle, in case that was what you were talking about.  (I was just there in April).  Oh beautiful, Scotland the Brave!  ; )

              Christina
              cerridwen_greenleaf

                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 30, 2003
                    Okay, I read the other post with the lyrics, I was just confused about what you werre talking about.  : )

                    Christina
                    cerridwen_greenleaf

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 30, 2003
                      Yet not as nationalistic as "Scotland the Brave", though!

                      Christina
                      cerridwen_greenleaf

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 30, 2003
                        --- Jack <jack@...> wrote:
                        > The lyrics to the Corries' song go:
                        >
                        > Oh Flower of Scotland
                        > When will we see your likes again?
                        > That fought and died for
                        > your wee bit hill and glen
                        > And stood against him
                        > Proud Edward's Army
                        > And sent him hamewards
                        > Tae think again
                        >
                        > I just can't fit your words into that tune - and I
                        > believe that it was
                        > written by The Corries, so I've no idea what the
                        > other versions might be!

                        First, Jack, my apologies for the confusion. I thought
                        I was being clear yesterday, when apparently I wasn't.
                        (You're not the only one, yours is the third e-mail
                        I've had to clarify because I wasn't making sense last
                        night. And as usual the fault is mine.)

                        I made a mistake in giving "The Corries" as the band.
                        The group is "The Royal Stuarts"; they credited the
                        Corries as having written the original song, which I
                        somehow misread to mean that the current version was
                        done by the Corries; not so.

                        I don't know if this will help, but I've taken the
                        lyrics to this song and after each line written (in
                        brackets) the line of my song that corresponds. It
                        might help to know that, in this song there's a series
                        of "dum-da-da-dum-dum's" that go with the opening
                        lines. When all the hobbits sing "Oh woesome Ranger"
                        that should correspond with "Oh Flower of Scotland".

                        You have my apologies for all the confusion! Oh, and I
                        went and listened to the original, it's quite good --
                        and *different*. Didn't realize how different, or I
                        would have tried to be clearer.

                        Marta

                        Dum-dum-dum-da-dum-dum-da-dum-dum...
                        [Came to Bree-hill along the old road]
                        Da-da-da-da-dum-da-da-dum-dum...
                        [Met Strider, a man; thought him a rogue.]
                        Dum-da-dum-da-dum-dum-da-da-dum...
                        [Ponies fled in the night, 'twas a sore blow.
                        Dum-da-da-da-da-dum-da-da-dum-dum...
                        [Woke up early, then the morning passed slow.]
                        Dum-dum-da-da-da-dum-dum
                        [Bought a pony from Bill; Barliman's woe.]

                        Dum-dum-da-da-da-dum, Oh, flower of Scotland...
                        [Dum-dum-da-da-da-dum... Oh, woesome Ranger,]
                        When will we see your likes again?
                        [When will we reach fair Rivendell,]
                        That fought and died for
                        [Where elves yet dwell,]
                        your wee bit hill and glen
                        [Oh, that last homely house?]
                        And stood against him
                        [Passed through the Chetwood,]
                        Proud Edward's Army
                        [Then through the midge marsh...]
                        And sent him homewards
                        [Neeker-breekers abound]
                        To think again
                        [In that land harsh]

                        Those hills are bare now,
                        [Four days we walked on;]
                        And Autumn leaves
                        [Wherever he would lead,]
                        lie thick and still,
                        [You know we'd follow,]
                        O'er land that is lost now
                        [We didn't take hede,],
                        Which those so dearly held,
                        [For we hadn't a choice]
                        That stood against him,
                        [That fearsome Ranger,]
                        Proud Edward's Army,
                        [Led us through wild land,]
                        And sent him homeward,
                        [Away from Riders--]
                        To think again.
                        [And all helping hands.]

                        Those days are past now,
                        [We saw Weathertop]
                        And in the past
                        [Far away 'gainst the hills.]
                        they must remain,
                        [Sought for that math]
                        But we can still rise now,
                        [Made by men of old...]
                        And be the nation again,
                        [And sought for Gandalf on top,]
                        That stood against him,
                        [Or if not him,]
                        Proud Edward's Army,
                        [Some sign he lingered,]
                        And sent him homeward,
                        [That he had come this way,]
                        To think again.
                        [That he still lived,]

                        That stood against him,
                        [Three strokes, dots, and runes,]
                        Proud Edward's Army,
                        [They marked that stone]
                        And sent him homeward,
                        [Strider thought it a sign,]
                        To think again, to think again, to think again.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 30, 2003
                          Hmmm, yes, OK, it sort of fits!

                          It was the dum-da-dum bit that was confusing me!

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 30, 2003
                            Flower of Scotland specifically calls for the overthrow of the English yoke and mourns the land that is lost to the English armed forces (Berwick upon Tweed, presumably).  :o)

                            So where did you visit in Scotland?

                            :o)
                            Jock

                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
                                He He He He I loved that one. I can just see the hobbits standing
                                behind Aragorn like they are the Four Tops from Motown with their
                                choreographed dance steps and doo wops!

                                --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Marta"

                              • bungo_burrows
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 2, 2003
                                  Yep, and you can't beat it when it is being sung before the start of
                                  a Scottish national rugby match.

                                  --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
                                  > Indeed, but it's also a nationalistic song...

                                  Members,

                                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                  >

                                  > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
                                  advantage
                                  > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
                                  Members,

                                  Service.