Re: Who is YOUR favorite good guy?

  • Marzia
    Message 1 of 74 , Jul 1, 2003
      Elrond and Celeborn. I can't really explain why, especially for
      Celeborn, since he hasn't got that important a role in the books (I
      still haven't read the Unfinished Tales, though).

      I think I like Elrond because he somewhat represents lore, in a way
      that is different from both Gandalf and Saruman. And I think he's
      more 'human' than Mithrandir, Aragorn, and many other characters, in
      that he is *not* perfect. Take Galadriel, in the First Age she was a
      bitch, and now she's almost flawless. She's changed so much that
      she's hardly even the same person. Elrond, on the other hand,
      retains some of his 'flaws' (he's got some prejudices against Men,
      and he still thinks of the First Born as the best among Eru's
      children), and has even developed new ones (the way he tries to keep
      Arwen with him is quite selfish, and in his speech with Gandalf we
      learn he doesn't want anything to do with this War if he can help
      it). Yet, even though he keeps grudges and can be petty (the way he
      treats Aragorn is due to Isildur's betrayal, and it reminds me of
      how Thingol treated Beren), he is wise and ready to help and fulfil
      what he perceives as his duty (like hosting the council). I think
      that's pretty much why I like him.

      And about Celeborn.... well, I think it's mostly admiration. I mean,
      you've got to be a tough kind of elf to put up for Ages with a
      Noldor princess with power and perfection issues, who totally
      outshines you in the eyes of the whole Arda. Poor Celly...

      Iani
    • bungo_burrows
      Message 74 of 74 , Jul 12, 2003
        No but I have msn. how bout you??? bungo....in crickhollow

        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, Katie Beth
        <ladyairelon@y...> wrote:
        > lol..... hee does anyone have aim???? pip
        >
        > Anna Bill <anna_43015@y...> wrote:The song was great Pip :o)
        > Frodo :o)
        >
        > Katie Beth <ladyairelon@y...> wrote:
        > me too.... happy i joined that is... good group we have... lol....
        did u all like my song???? pip

        > Anna Bill <anna_43015@y...> wrote:Lol oh dear Pippin me loves it.
        This is quit a fun group and I am thankful that I joined. You are all
        great people and friends. Talk to you soon.
        > Frodo :o)
        >
        > Katie Beth <ladyairelon@y...> wrote:
        > yep... i understand compeltly.... ur frodo cause u want to be
        frodo.... i'm pippin cause i wanna be pippin.... lol..... i
        get... "hey ho to the bottle i go... to heal me heart and drown my
        woe, rain my fall and wind my blow, but there still be many miles to
        go... sweet to the sound of the pouring rain... better to fall from
        hill to plain... better then rain then rippling brook... there's a
        mug of bear inside this took!" ~ drunken hobbit song.... sung by the
        hobbits... (lead by merry and pippin...(mee) talk to ya... later....
        byes..... cya.... pip

        > Anna Bill <anna_43015@y...> wrote:I hope that I cleared some things
        up for you in my post dear Pippin. Jack calls me Frodo because I
        chose to be called that. Yes my real name is Anna. But in here some
        of us go by chosen names, like yours Pippin :o) Talk to you soon.
        > Frodo :o)
        >
        > Katie Beth <ladyairelon@y...> wrote:
        >
        > i'm confizzaled who is frodo... like is it anne???? (i no who frodo
        is just y is he calling u frodo???) katie
        > Anna Bill <anna_43015@y...> wrote:You slay me my dear friend
        Jack :o) But I do like being called Frodo. He has the power, even
        though at first it was unwanted. I do appreciate you being the firs
        to call me Frodo. I look forward to talking with you more my friend.
        > Frodo
        >
        > Jack <jack@t...> wrote:
        > No problem Frodo

        > From: Anna Bill [mailto:anna_43015@y...]
        > Ah dear Elollyra, I kind of figured that he was, but wasn't sure.
        Yes it
        > tis true that we all have to eb a little sick or crazy to survive.
        So you
        > wouldn't mind if I became Frodo in here?
        > Anna
        >
        > SanKni2313@a... wrote:
        > Yes, yes, Anna, we are all sick!!! Or at least a little bit
        off....But
        > seriously, you do know that Jack is teasing, don't you?
        >
        > Elollyra
        >
        > In a message dated 7/2/03 10:38:50 AM Central Daylight Time,
        > anna_43015@y... writes:
        >
        > > How so Jack? I mean I believe there are several in here that
        have. Are
        > you
        > > saying that they are sick as well?
        > > Anna
        > >
        > > Tripleleo60@c... wrote:
        > > In a message dated 7/1/03 3:01:59 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
        > > jack@t... writes:
        > >

        > > >You realise that adopting the name of a Tolkien character for
        use on
        > the
        > > >internet is deeply sick, don't you Anna?
        > > >:o)
        > > >Jack

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
        advantage
        > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
        Members,

        Service.

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        >

        > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
        advantage
        > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
        Members,

        Service.

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
        advantage
        > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
        Members,

        Service.

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
        advantage
        > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
        Members,

        Service.

        > ~Lady Airelon~

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
        advantage
        > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
        Members,

        Service.

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
        advantage
        > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
        Members,

        Service.

        > ~Lady Airelon~

        > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        >
        > Come and visit our Tolkien Discussions group online and take
        advantage
        > of our Messages, Chat, Files, Photos, Links, Database, Polls,
        Members,

        Service.

        > One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring
        them all and in darkness bind them.--- The Lord Of The Rings