Re: Thanks Kimberly and one more question I ask of you, please?

  • Kimberly
    Message 1 of 26 , Jun 1 12:09 AM
      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "cnerine" > Sorry to
      nitpick, but as a German student, I just felt I had to point
      > out that it's "Lebensraum", not "Liebensraum."
      > "Lebensraum" literally means "living-space", in other words
      > territory controlled by a country (as used by Hitler in WWII).
      > To the best of my knowledge, there is no such word
      > as "Liebensraum." But if there was, it would translate as "loving-
      > space." Not sure what that would mean, but I don't think it's what
      > you intended. Small difference in spelling, but essential...
      >
      > Fíriel

      So, the Led Zepplin song "Living Loving Maid," translated into
      German, would be "Leben Lieben Liebchen"?

      Cool

      -kimmy
      {doesn't know German.}
      Message 2 of 26 , Jun 1 12:30 AM
        Try "Mädchen" for maid, or perhaps the (rather old fashioned) Madel. (I've
        never heard anyone actually use the word Madel). The suffix "chen " means
        little, so Madel-chen - Mädchen - means literally little maid or more likely
        these days - girl.

        Liebchen would translate to Darling (little love)

        hth
        nitpick, but as a German student, I just felt I had to point
        > out that it's "Lebensraum", not "Liebensraum."
        > "Lebensraum" literally means "living-space", in other words
        > territory controlled by a country (as used by Hitler in WWII).
        > To the best of my knowledge, there is no such word
        > as "Liebensraum." But if there was, it would translate as "loving-
        > space." Not sure what that would mean, but I don't think it's what
        > you intended. Small difference in spelling, but essential...
        >
        > Fíriel

        So, the Led Zepplin song "Living Loving Maid," translated into
        German, would be "Leben Lieben Liebchen"?

        Cool

        -kimmy
        {doesn't know German.}

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • david schnyer
        Message 3 of 26 , Jun 1 1:45 AM
          "So, the Led Zepplin song "Living Loving Maid,"
          translated into German, would be "Leben Lieben
          Liebchen"? Cool"
          more like "leben lieben madchen" i think, (my
          keyboard doesn't have an umlaut so put two dots
          over the "a" and pronounce it as "maidchen", and
          my german is lousy too by the way so further
          corrections will be accepted politely.)
          "gunner"

          http://calendar.yahoo.com