Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: What would you have changed in the LoTR movies?

  • ethiercn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 38 , May 4, 2003
      In a message dated 5/4/2003 3:46:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      sidetabledrawer@... writes:

      > well, the the fact that the barrow wight scene is creepy is good enough
      > reason for me. but true, it doenst add anything to the tale. and that's
      > what jackson felt with tom and goldberry..that their part has doenst
      > contribute anything to the quest. but that scene with tom is great way to
      > show the one ring's limitations. i mean taht it doenst affect all creatures
      > of middle earth, which adds more enigma on tom's character

      But a character that doesn't appear all that often. Tom is great in is own
      stuff, but he feels out of place, at least to me, in LOTR. He is too happy
      for the story. That whole section of the novel reads like a fairy tale. The
      barrow wight sequence explains the swords, at least Merry's, if I'm
      remembering correctly.

      Chris

    • david schnyer
      Message 38 of 38 , May 7, 2003
        "Yes indeed Geezr, be shameless! As long as it
        doesn't cost $119.95 and is linked to some Fran
        Tarkenton infomercial, go for it!"
        http://search.yahoo.com