RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: Email Attachments Disabled

    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2003
      Why not just let the old messages go?
      I bet we don't often refer to something from 36 months ago - that's so last
      century
      Regards

      From: John [mailto:johnjabberoo@...]
      I have no problem with it either, but as for my own groups when I get
      to the point where I am running out of any space in any feature of
      that list I will just open an anjoining list and have plenty of room
      all over again without having to sacrifice any of the first list. I
      mean, there is no reason why there cannot be more space on these
      list. If you can open another another one with all the room to spare
      all over again then the room is there already to be had. Of course,
      if a list is not actively getting messages Yahoo sends a warning that
      the list may be deactivated, but if you just delete a few
      nonessential messages and then post a few new ones they leave you
      alone. LOL

      John the Texas Hobbit

    • John
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2003
        Well, most people do let the old messages go. I just happen to
        believe that many of them are worth saving and I don't throw things
        away just because they get old. I do think it's ok to clean up a
        list of messages that say nothing and go nowhere, but to just erase
        the past to me is criminal. But I understand that most listowners
        don't have the time or the inclination to concern themselves with
        this matter.

        As a Hobbit I have to keep on top of these things. Why, I even reset
        members who are bouncing on my groups. hehehe

        John the Texas Hobbit

        --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Jack" <jack@t...> wrote:
        > Why not just let the old messages go?
        > I bet we don't often refer to something from 36 months ago - that's
        so last
        > century
        > Regards

        > From: John [mailto:johnjabberoo@y...]
        > I have no problem with it either, but as for my own groups when I
        get
        > to the point where I am running out of any space in any feature of
        > that list I will just open an anjoining list and have plenty of room
        > all over again without having to sacrifice any of the first list. I
        > mean, there is no reason why there cannot be more space on these
        > list. If you can open another another one with all the room to
        spare
        > all over again then the room is there already to be had. Of course,
        > if a list is not actively getting messages Yahoo sends a warning
        that
        > the list may be deactivated, but if you just delete a few
        > nonessential messages and then post a few new ones they leave you
        > alone. LOL
        >
        > John the Texas Hobbit

      • aure_enteluva
        Message 3 of 8 , May 4, 2003
          > The most significant change will be the appearance of messages you
          > receive from the group. Disabling the email attachment option also
          > forces all messages sent from the group to be sent out in plain text
          > format. You can still post in html with fancy sigs and stationary if
          > you wish, but only the text of your messages will be posted to the
          > group and stored in the archive. The paragraph formatting of
          > messages posted in html may also come out somewhat skewed in the
          > conversion, so you may want to insert some extra blanks between
          > paragraphs if you wish to continue posting in html.

          For you people using Outlook or IncrediMail or something else to
          compose your message: when you reply to a message, in some programs
          the old message is beside a solid bar, a graphic. I know that some of
          the time Yahoo will treat this like a graphic and delete the bar and
          all the text beside it. So what you're replying to may not come
          through to the group, just the new message you type, which can be
          confusin. To avoid this you can turn your preferences to "text only"
          as opposed to "HTML", or you can manually type (or copy and paste)
          the text you're referring to.

          Marta

          =-=-=

          "So that was the job I felt I had to do when I started," thought Sam:
          "to help Mr. Frodo to the last step and then to die with him? Well, if
          that is the job, then I must do it." ~ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of
          the King