RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: Fw: Emailing: code=2312

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 31 10:34 PM
      When you are looking at a web page and want to tell your friends about it, you can click on File / Send  /  Page by Email - and if you do, you will send an attachment with the .url suffix.

      Probably it's better to click on File / Send  /  Link by Email because of the (not entirely unjustified) paranoia about viruses.  Some groups go as far as refusing to accept any attachments at all!  It's an option in Yahoo...

      Regards
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 1, 2003

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 1, 2003
          I would like to make it absolutely clear that I NEVER said Bruce
          would deliberately send us a virus! As I said in my post, these
          things send THEMSELVES; once they infect your system, they email
          themselves out without you ever knowing it.

          And as I also said, those things were definitely ATTACHMENTS, not
          links. And on top of that, yahoo said they are APPLICATIONS. That is
          what made them suspicious to me. Any attachment that is an
          application is highly suspicious, in my experience.

          I'm a few hours behind on the messages right now, so I don't know if
          we've heard from Bruce yet. I'm trying to catch up, but in the
          meantime, I want to make sure that everyone is clear on the following:

          1. A link (url) and an attachment are two completely different things.
          2. The two emails from Bruce's addy contained attachments, which is
          how viruses are sent.
          3. Most attachments are NOT viruses, but any attachment that has an
          unfamiliar file extension should always be regarded as suspect.
          4. According to yahoo, those attachments were applications, which are
          the most likely kind to contain a virus.
          5. I NEVER said OR implied that Bruce would send us a virus. What I
          said is that, IF his system was infected, it could be sending them
          out without his knowledge or consent.

          As moderator of this list, I'm much more paranoid than I would be
          otherwise. I've been in situations on other lists where one member's
          computer got infected and started sending viruses out, and others on
          the list opened them and got infected. I've seen people's computers
          get wiped out this way. For just this reason, a lot of yahoo groups
          are set up to block attachments from going through at all (this is an
          option yahoo gives listowners, to set the group up whichever way they
          want). If I wasn't moderator, I probably would have ignored those
          things, but since I'm helping Kenneth run this list, I feel
          personally responsible for trying to help keep things safe here.

          Fimbrethil

          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, david schnyer
          <gunnera4@y...> wrote:
          > i seriously doubt bruce would deliberately send
          > us a virus, i haven't seen ".url" used as a
          > suffix either but its usually used as a name for
          > hyperlinks. "universal resource locator". e.g.
          > www.nonexistent.com i seem to remember he later
          > posted them as in text urls and while i didn't
          > click on them i haven't heard of a virus being
          > spread that way, though i do agree caution is
          > never wasted.
          > "gunner"
        • Sharon
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 1, 2003
            Oh, I see! Thanks for explaining this! I have never heard of doing it
            that way. I've always just copied and pasted the url into an email. I
            still think that's a better way of doing it, for the reason you
            mentioned.

            As I said in another email, I've seen such horrible things happen due
            to people opening unfamiliar attachments that I have gotten extremely
            cautious. I don't worry about things like .gif, .jpg, and .doc, but
            almost anything else comes under very close scrutiny. And if I can't
            be sure what it is, I don't open it until I find out for sure. :)

            Fimbrethil

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 1, 2003
              Yes, viruses are sneaky, but in this case it's OK.

              Websites let you File / Send / Page by email - and when you do, it comes as an attachment with a .url suffix.
              Because a webpage may contain code to do things, it counts as an application.

              Is there anyone on the list who doesn't have a decent virus checker with a regular updates?  Really not?  Get one today, it'll save you no end of trouble
              hth
              From: Sharon [mailto:itzsharon@...]

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 1, 2003
                Actually you should be wary of .doc files too - they can contain macros which can run viruses.

                Again, make sure you have an up to date virus checker!

                hth
                From: Sharon [mailto:itzsharon@...]

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 1, 2003
                  Oh yes?  I must have a look at that

                  Multas gratis tibi ago...
                  From: "Bruce Alan Wilson" <brucewilson@...>

                  This might be of interest.

                • L. Cornelius Sulla
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 1, 2003
                    Sure take a look there are also a number of email lists associated with NR, each dealing with a varity of subjects from culture, literature, military, laws, etc.  If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email me.

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 12, 2003
                      with her comment included...
                      "gunner"
                      http://search.yahoo.com