The Hobbit

  • sds51187@aol.com
    Message 1 of 77 , Feb 9, 2003
      Ok, I just re-read the Hobbit, and I was wondering, who exactly is supposed to be narrating it?  I had always assumed it was Bilbo, since when he gets back he begins writing his book.  But on page 16 of the copy I have, it says "... they have become rare and shy of the Big People, as they call us."  Us?  Wouldn't that imply the narrator was one of the Big People?  Was that just a slip-up?  Or what?  Anybody have any ideas?
      ~kittykatya
    • Ty Bevington
      Message 77 of 77 , Dec 10, 2012

        I remember seeing a filmstrip version (remember those?) back in 1979 in school with a teacher who was a big Tolkien fan who introduced me to him.  I wonder what Mrs. Matthews would think of my obsession now?  She's probably similarly obsessed, give or take a toy or too...and I love the movie- I need to pull it & watch it again.  I think it's a little scary for my 6 year old (he wants Hobbit Legos for Christmas), and we sat down little packets of Gandalf at Toys R US, turned around and they were gone!  And then they were sold out!  Wahhh!

        I need to find some friends to go see the movie with who aren't going on opening night because of my work schedule. My wife has no interst in seeing the movie, so I may end up going on my own....my precious...

        Enjoy it everyone,

        Ty

        "Worry about the carrot.  The stick will take care of itself."
        Steve Caudill