Re: ahhhhhh

  • Jon <Johnjabberoo@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 39 , Feb 1, 2003
      That is ironic. Hmmmm....the English language sure is screwy, isn't
      it? lol

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon <itzsharon@y...>"
      <Johnjabberoo@a...>"

      http://members.aol.com/RtNicholas/private/what.htm

    • ethiercn@aol.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 4, 2003
        In a message dated 2/4/2003 6:41:46 PM Eastern Standard Time, itzsharon@... writes:

        She has read a couple of those, and I think she'd probably like to
        read more but doesn't know what to look for. If you know any titles
        to recommend, I'll be glad to pass them along! :)

        Kara Dalkey has serveral books out that take place in Japan.  The most well known is Genepii, which most easily gotten from Amazon.  She has two other current books that seem take place in Japan, but I do not know how good they are.  I just "found" the author this year so am still playing catch up.  Dalkey's Nightengale, which is out of print, is a retelling of the Anderson tale, but she moves the story to Japan because she is very familar with Japanese history.  Nightengale and Genepi are excellent.
        There is also The Nightengale Floor: Book 1 of the Otari.  This book came out last year and is considered young adult, but it does have sexual content.  It wasn't as good as the Dalkey books, but Floor would make an excellent anime movie. It deals with a war between clans and a Tribe of assians.
        And she should try to read the Tale of Genji.  Not fantasy but very intersting.  There are also serveral good Japanese fairy and folk tale collections as well as studies on them
        Also the Years Best Fantasy and Horror, a series that reprints the best short fiction in the fields, has, as of last year, started reviewing and recommonding anime and magna.

        Chris