Re: [TolkienDiscussions] Introduction and question

  • Tripleleo60@cs.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 9, 2002
      HM 2001 trade size pg. 1007

      "...and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost."

      Queen Tii nailed it.

      To Her Majesty: Thanks for the ego boost.

      Scott
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 9, 2002
        Isn't it cheating to look in the book?  :o)

        OK, here it is, almost the last page of the book...

        "Then Frodo kissed Merry and Pippin, and last of all Sam, and went aboard; and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew, and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth; and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore glimmered and was lost."

        So you were right, Bruce!

        From: Bruce Alan Wilson [mailto:bawilson@...]
        Does anyone have the book handy to check the text?
        From: queentii
        Speaking of rings - Kenneth asked about what happened to Gandalf's
        ring when he went into the west... He did not give it back to Cirdan
        the Shipwright. All three rings went west with the end of the third
        age...the time of the rings was over... Gandalf holds his ring aloft
        as the ship sails over the horizon and it shines one last time before
        Merry, Pippin and Sam lose sight of the ship.

        Well that is enough from and about me.

        Looking forward to your thoughts.

        Queen Tii

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 9, 2002
          I think the group that included Tolkien and Lewis was called the Inkspots, but on the other hand this may be a 60s Motown band...
          From: queentii [mailto:queentii@...]
          Took a university course on "Tolkien and his circle of fantasy
          writers" during the summer between junior and senior year in
          highschool...this included Tolkein's work "On Faery Stories" and
          another piece by CS Lewis about the genre and Tolkien in specific -
          wish  I could remember the name of it... it was quite interesting.
          Any one know the piece I am referencing?(also introduced me to
          Charles Williams - another story another time... am in search of a
          specific work by him if anyone knows any good used book dealers)
          Anyway, I digress from the subject at hand.
        • Bruce Alan Wilson
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 9, 2002
            I think you mean the "Inklings".
            I think the group that included Tolkien and Lewis was called the Inkspots, but on the other hand this may be a 60s Motown band...

          • Kenneth
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 9, 2002

              Did anyone see that film that came out a few years ago about C. S. Lewis?  I think it was a love story, about him and his wife.  I can't remember the title.

              I'm asking though because I was wondering . . . was Tolkien portrayed or mentioned in the film?

              Kenneth

              I think you mean the "Inklings".
              I think the group that included Tolkien and Lewis was called the Inkspots, but on the other hand this may be a 60s Motown band...

              JustKenneth's Homepage

              faith.yahoo.com

            • Bruce Alan Wilson
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 9, 2002
                You are thinking about "Shadowlands."

                There are actually two versions--a theatrical release in whith Anthony Hopkins plays Lewis and a BBC made-for-tv one with (I think) Joss Ackland as Lewis.
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 9, 2002
                  Scott

                  You are quite welcome...just speaking the truth...

                  "Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant
                  intelligence."
                  - Henrik Tikkanen

                  Thanks again for helping "us" find the right answer - we (as in
                  the "royal" we) are uncomfortable with the state of "not knowing".

                  LOL ;P

                  Queen Tii

                  --- In TolkienDiscussions@y..., Tripleleo60@c... wrote:
                  > HM 2001 trade size pg. 1007
                  >
                  > "...and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
                  glimmered and was
                  > lost."
                  >
                  > Queen Tii nailed it.
                  >
                  > To Her Majesty: Thanks for the ego boost.
                  >
                  > Scott
                • Lorien Weaver
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 9, 2002
                    Hi, the movie is called Shadowlands.  I have not seen it, but I have been meaning to for some time now.

                    Lorien