RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Book Review

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 24, 2012

      He reminds me of a plate spinning act – lots of vertical poles, lots of plates, and the author  adds more plates and gives the existing ones an occasional spin until the whole stage s filled with spinning plates

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 24, 2012
        I agree about the plate spinning. And this spinner keeps adding poles and plates on top of existing plates!

        I'm not sure how far in you are so I don't want to give anything away but I'm reminded of the idea Darwin got from Malthus when formulating Natural Selection: More offspring are produced than can possibly survive.

        scott
        (Sir QotM)

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 25, 2012

          I’m part way through book 2

          It’s good stuff – but when I’m finished, I’ll take a break before the next one