BBC News - JRR Tolkien snubbed by 1961 Nobel jury, papers reveal

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2012
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16440150

      Has anyone ever heard of the guy who won?

    • Bruce Alan Wilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2012
        I've heard of all of them, but only read Greene & vonBlixen.

        There is a story about the Argentine author Jorge Luis Borges; when asked why he was never even considered for a Nobel, he said, "Well, all my stories have been translated into Swedish, and I happen to know that several members of the Academy have actually read them, and that is usually fatal."