Re: Re-reading 'The Hobbit" 20+ years later......

  • Morjuc
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
      Yeah, I remember lots of interesting conversation when the silmarillion was read. unfortunately I was in university at the time and missed out completetly as I was busy. it would be really fun to read the hobbit as a group.
      alyssa

      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, steveseg@... wrote:

      > In a message dated 11/14/2011, jack@... writes:
      >

      > We did this here a couple of years ago, didn't we?
      >
      > Early 2008.
      >
      > Steve S.

    • Theresa Ramseyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 17, 2011
        Oh, I would love to read the Silmarillion as a group too. I've read it
        alone, and got lost. I enjoy singing, so the idea of the world being
        sung into being is intriguing.

        As close as it is to the holidays, I'd rather read the Hobbit first and
        then definitely the Silmarillion after New Year, when I have more time.

        Theresa

      • whiteladyofrohan@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 26, 2011
          We did a Silmarillion discussion a few years back which was moderated by Matt West (a member of this group).  He summarized each chapter and then we discussed it.  I put together these chapter summaries into a single Word document which can be found in the Files section of this group under the title Silmarillion Chapter Discussion.

          Here's a link to the files section:

          Debbie
          "One does not read The Silmarillion; one either abandons it in bored disgust, or else one lives in it."
          Peter Kreeft, 'Afterword: The Wonder of the Silmarillion', Shadows of Imagination (1979)