Re-reading 'The Hobbit" 20+ years later......

  • Ty B
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
      Well, I finished the book yesterday, and I was amazed at how fast it wrapped up. The Battle of Five Armies really was too fast for me (How many of you have tried to wargame that prior to GamesWorkshop's product? Minature Wargames Magazine had a 'How to Article' years ago that I yet to try since I don't have anywhere near the dwarves and elves..)but it was still a great climax to the crisis of the 'power of gold' angle.

      Overall, I enjoyed reading it again and I am sorry that I let so much time interced between readings. I have 'Children of Hurin" and David Days' "Tolkien's RIng" on deck next, but I'll probably take a little break to not overload- I tend to get on a 'hot streak' on an author or a tv show and then burn out for a while and I have decided that 2012 is going to be a Tolkien-themed year for me.

      Take care, and I'll keep you posted,

      Ty
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2011
        I enjoyed Children of Hurin, but I would have enjoyed it even more if I
        hadn't already read it in the Silmarillion...

        I wouldn't put it past them if they re-issue Beren and Luthien in a year or
        two, padded out to a book length.
        I'll still buy it, of course!

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 13, 2011
          Does anyone know of a group who is reading The Hobbit in detail?

          I used to belong to a group that said they were interested in reading
          LOTR, and they'd started it. Unfortunately, they were on hiatus, and
          they want to stay that way.

          I have read the Hobbit, LOTR, and the Similarion by myself, and think it
          would be fun to do with a group. But we're all doing it separately.

          Any suggestions?

          Thanks,
          Theresa
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 13, 2011
            We did this here a couple of years ago, didn't we?
            Would anyone like to do it again?
            Hang on, I feel a poll coming on

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
              In a message dated 11/14/2011, jack@... writes:

              We did this here a couple of years ago, didn't we?

              Early 2008.

              Steve S.

            • Morjuc
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 14, 2011
                Yeah, I remember lots of interesting conversation when the silmarillion was read. unfortunately I was in university at the time and missed out completetly as I was busy. it would be really fun to read the hobbit as a group.
                alyssa

                --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, steveseg@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 11/14/2011, jack@... writes:
                >

                > We did this here a couple of years ago, didn't we?
                >
                > Early 2008.
                >
                > Steve S.

              • Theresa Ramseyer
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 17, 2011
                  Oh, I would love to read the Silmarillion as a group too. I've read it
                  alone, and got lost. I enjoy singing, so the idea of the world being
                  sung into being is intriguing.

                  As close as it is to the holidays, I'd rather read the Hobbit first and
                  then definitely the Silmarillion after New Year, when I have more time.

                  Theresa

                • whiteladyofrohan@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 26, 2011
                    We did a Silmarillion discussion a few years back which was moderated by Matt West (a member of this group).  He summarized each chapter and then we discussed it.  I put together these chapter summaries into a single Word document which can be found in the Files section of this group under the title Silmarillion Chapter Discussion.

                    Here's a link to the files section:

                    Debbie
                    "One does not read The Silmarillion; one either abandons it in bored disgust, or else one lives in it."
                    Peter Kreeft, 'Afterword: The Wonder of the Silmarillion', Shadows of Imagination (1979)