The new guy...errr hobbit...

  • Ty B
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2011
      ...err tall for a dwarf????

      Greeting, I'm Ty, and I'm about to re-read 'The Hobbit' for the first time in I'm not sure how long. I first read it when I received it as a much- desired birthday gift when I was 12 (I had seen the movie in film-strip form in my 7th grade English class- that should give you an idea of how old I am!) but I don't know when I read it last. I re-read The Lord of the Rings every few years, and over the past few years have read The Simarillion, The Lost Tales and accompaning Histories, Roverdam, some biographies and critcism(Lin Carter, David Day, Humphries) and such, but for whatever reason, Bilbo's Big Adventure has not made it off the shelf in close to 20 years. As I approach my 44th birthday, I was planning to re-read the book and was hoping to share my reflections with a group of like-mided individuals and see how the story has changed from my pre-teen memory to now, how it filters now that I have read so much more 'earlier' and 'later' Tolkien, how I would explain it to my 5 year old who will probably be too young to see the forthcoming movie, and what memories it brings back- just who was I when I crept into Smaug's cave 32 years ago? And who I am now when I grasp the Arkenstone?

      Thanks for listening,

      Ty
    • scott
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2011
         Welcome. I hope you enjoy all of the ...below.
        scott
        (Sir QotM)

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 18, 2011
          Hey, Ty, welcome to the group.
          Have you read "The Soddit"? A scurrilous parody...