Elvish language roots

  • poikaa
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2011
      I happen chance across some old books, most of them in the Finnish language, several pertaining to religion. A few of them are readers of some early grades in school. Most are dated to the late 19th century.
      One of them is titled "Finnish Grammar" by Eliot and is dated to 1890. Printed in London by the Oxford University Press. At this point I was beginning to think this might be a link to Tolkien.... The real kicker was that in the same lot of books, amongst the early school readers and hunting books was a copy of Tolkien's "Silmarillion !!
      This collection seems to have belong to a school teacher of the middle grades here in Michigan. The box was free so I took them.
      Hmmm.... I just wonder if this could be one of the reads that Tolkien studied as the time frame is right so is the printer.

      poikaa
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2011

        It probably was.

        Sounds like a pretty cool free box, IMO!

        Rob

      • C.N. Bartch

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2011
            Certainly Tolkien taught himself Finnish, the better to be able to read the
            Kalevala...

            Not sure which textbook he used though!