Gandalf's age....

  • poikaa
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
      I know that Gandalf is one of the elders along with Elrond, but how old is he?

      poikaa
    • scott
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
        About two years older than dirt. Gandalf is one of the Maiar (sp?) that is one of the lesser immortal spirits that made the world.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
          And to go along with this question who are the other wizards? I think I remember Radgast and there is Saruman along with Gandalf. Gandalf was a wizard to do with animals and the woods, Nature so to speak.

          poikaa

          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, scott <tripleleome@...> wrote:

          > About two years older than dirt. Gandalf is one of the Maiar (sp?) that is one of the lesser immortal spirits that made the world.

        • scott
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
            "Radagast, the fourth, became enamoured of the many beasts and birds. Curunir [Saruman] fell from his high errand and...sought to have his own will by force. Mithrandir [Gandalf]...was ever the enemy of Sauron." (Unfinished Tales pg 390). The two other unnamed "Blue Wizards" passed into the East immediately upon their arrival in Middle-Earth and are not heard from again.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
              Very old indeed

              As Scott says, he is one of the Maiar, sung into existence by Eru at the
              beginning of the world. He was around before they invented years...

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011

                In Unfinished Tales, they are named as  Alatar and Pallando.

                Hth

                Jack

                "Radagast, the fourth, became enamoured of the many beasts and birds. Curunir [Saruman] fell from his high errand and...sought to have his own will by force. Mithrandir [Gandalf]...was ever the enemy of Sauron." (Unfinished Tales pg 390). The two other unnamed "Blue Wizards" passed into the East immediately upon their arrival in Middle-Earth and are not heard from again.

                And to go along with this question who are the other wizards? I think I remember Radgast and there is Saruman along with Gandalf. Gandalf was a wizard to do with animals and the woods, Nature so to speak.

                poikaa

                --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, scott <tripleleome@...> wrote:

                > About two years older than dirt. Gandalf is one of the Maiar (sp?) that is one of the lesser immortal spirits that made the world.

              • scott
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 31, 2011
                  You're right Jack. I didn't look hard enough.