LOTR, The fellowship of the ring

  • poikaa
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 12, 2011
      Jackson's movie is being shown over and over on Encore movie channels on my satellite dish, Dish Network. Normally I would tire of the repeat quickly but I find myself watching it over many times! I have lately watching the backgrounds and distant views for XFs and errors and find very few.
      Other than the omission of Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs the movie is very true to the book with most of what my mind's eye had envisioned very faithfully reproduced in the movie. A testament to J.R.R. Tolkien's writing abilities!
      One very quick view is when "Strider" and the Hobbits approach Weathertop and camp in view of the Trolls turned to stone. A brief vision of what may come in the Hobbit movie.
      I find it strange that seeing the Fellowship so many times is enjoyable! But I worry when I repeat the lines verbatim!

      Rod
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 12, 2011

        <<… the movie is very true to the book with most of what my mind's eye had envisioned very faithfully reproduced in the movie. A testament to J.R.R. Tolkien's writing abilities!>>

        I agree with you, but I was struck while reading your post that I wonder if people who read the book from 1940s-1959 would have the same images in their mind’s eye. In other words, how much of what (probably most of us here) “see” in our imaginations while reading Tolkien is based on all the art that came out since the big 1960s revival of LotR?

        Pauline Baynes, Rankin-Bass, Alan Howe, et al probably hugely influence us. Fortunately, so do Prof. Tolkien’s own numerous works of art dealing with Middle-Earth.

        Would be a good question to ask Christopher Lee. His first reading HAD to have been before the 60s explosion of popularity.

        Anyway – just a thought that occurred to me. J

        Rob

      • poikaa
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
          My first reading of the Lord of the Rings was in high school in 1971, the first book I read was The Two Towers.... after a few chapters I got it straight! I first read the Hobbit about six months later and since then I have repeatedly read all the books at least 15 or more times. I have not read any of Tolkien's son's books....
          The "oliphants" were a larger than I could see in my mind's eye but the high stairs in the movie, Cirith Ungol, were very much like in my imagination!

          Rod

          --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <rob1138@...> wrote:

          > <<. the movie is very true to the book with most of what my mind's eye had
          > envisioned very faithfully reproduced in the movie. A testament to J.R.R.
          > Tolkien's writing abilities!>>
          >

          > I agree with you, but I was struck while reading your post that I wonder if
          > people who read the book from 1940s-1959 would have the same images in their
          > mind's eye. In other words, how much of what (probably most of us here)
          > "see" in our imaginations while reading Tolkien is based on all the art that
          > came out since the big 1960s revival of LotR?
          >
          > Pauline Baynes, Rankin-Bass, Alan Howe, et al probably hugely influence us.
          > Fortunately, so do Prof. Tolkien's own numerous works of art dealing with
          > Middle-Earth.
          >

          > Would be a good question to ask Christopher Lee. His first reading HAD to
          > have been before the 60s explosion of popularity.
          >

          > Anyway - just a thought that occurred to me. :-)
          >
          > Rob

        • Kenneth Ayers
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
            I first read Tolkien in the early seventies too.  I loved those paperbacks that I checked out from the library, the covers illustrated with Tolkiens own drawings.  Then I got my first paperback boxed set.  It was a red box and had those elven symbols.  I think one of my kids has it now.

            Kenneth

          • jack@telaservices.co.uk
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011

              In 1973-ish I won a competition for public speaking at school and got LOTR as the prize.  This was a one volume paperback.  I read it about once a year until it fell apart, after which I transferred the prize sticker to my new hardback three volume edition which has proved somewhat sturdier...

              On 13 April 2011 at 17:55 Kenneth Ayers <justkenneth@...> wrote:

              > I first read Tolkien in the early seventies too.  I loved those paperbacks that I checked out from the library, the covers illustrated with Tolkiens own drawings.  Then I got my first paperback boxed set.  It was a red box and had those elven symbols.  I think one of my kids has it now.
              >
              > Kenneth
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Freeman Ng
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
                I first read the trilogy in fifth grade in something like two weeks, and have probably read the whole thing all the way through at least twenty times since then, include two and half times through on one long vacation alone!

                When the FOTR movie came out, I almost decided not to watch any of them, and then ended up watching it 13 times in the theaters.

                I'm only just now rereading the books for the first time since the movies ended. I wanted plenty of distance from the movies before dipping into the books again. Happily, I'm finding the pleasure undiminished.

                I think that if Tolkien were alive today, he would have objected strongly to the movies, but if I were given the task of persuading him that they had some value, I would show him the scene of Gandalf trapped and miserable at the top of Orthanc while the trees are felled beneath him.

                Freeman
                www.HaikuDiem.com
                www.PleasePublishJoan.com
                www.FreemanNg.net/hobbitsong

                On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM, jack@... <jack@...> wrote:

                In 1973-ish I won a competition for public speaking at school and got LOTR as the prize.  This was a one volume paperback.  I read it about once a year until it fell apart, after which I transferred the prize sticker to my new hardback three volume edition which has proved somewhat sturdier...

                On 13 April 2011 at 17:55 Kenneth Ayers <justkenneth@...> wrote:

                > I first read Tolkien in the early seventies too.  I loved those paperbacks that I checked out from the library, the covers illustrated with Tolkiens own drawings.  Then I got my first paperback boxed set.  It was a red box and had those elven symbols.  I think one of my kids has it now.
                >
                > Kenneth
                >

                > ________________________________

              • scott
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
                  Let's see...It was in the early 70's for me also. I had a bad case of the flu and my mom brought home the Hobbit and the trilogy for me: I read all four in a week. Since then I've worn out three paperback sets. I currently have several different sets but my favorites are a green leather Hobbit and a red leather single volume trilogy. I also have a US first edition of the Silmarillion.

                  I have a number of problems with the movies, most of which I understand due to the needs of movie making. The one unforgivable one for me is the change in Faramir and the side trip to Osgiliath. There was no need for that and it harmed the story.

                  Having said that I still watch the (extended) movies and I'm due to read the books again.

                  Scott

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 13, 2011
                    My parents gave me the Silmarillion hardcover when it was first published. I think as a Christmas present. Am I remembering correctly? Was it published around Christmas?

                    --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, scott <tripleleome@...> wrote:

                    > Let's see...It was in the early 70's for me also. I had a bad case of the flu and my mom brought home the Hobbit and the trilogy for me: I read all four in a week. Since then I've worn out three paperback sets. I currently have several different sets but my favorites are a green leather Hobbit and a red leather single volume trilogy. I also have a US first edition of the Silmarillion.
                    >
                    > I have a number of problems with the movies, most of which I understand due to the needs of movie making. The one unforgivable one for me is the change in Faramir and the side trip to Osgiliath. There was no need for that and it harmed the story.
                    >
                    > Having said that I still watch the (extended) movies and I'm due to read the books again.
                    >
                    > Scott

                  • scott
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 14, 2011
                      That sounds right. Mine may have been a Christmas present also.

                      Scott

                      My parents gave me the Silmarillion hardcover when it was first published. I think as a Christmas present. Am I remembering correctly? Was it published around Christmas?

                      --- In TolkienDiscussions@yahoogroups.com, scott <tripleleome@...> wrote:

                      > Let's see...It was in the early 70's for me also. I had a bad case of the flu and my mom brought home the Hobbit and the trilogy for me: I read all four in a week. Since then I've worn out three paperback sets. I currently have several different sets but my favorites are a green leather Hobbit and a red leather single volume trilogy. I also have a US first edition of the Silmarillion.
                      >
                      > I have a number of problems with the movies, most of which I understand due to the needs of movie making. The one unforgivable one for me is the change in Faramir and the side trip to Osgiliath. There was no need for that and it harmed the story.
                      >
                      > Having said that I still watch the (extended) movies and I'm due to read the books again.
                      >
                      > Scott

                    • Morjuc
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 14, 2011
                        The books are always fun. I'm rereading them now. It was a relief to find I didn't think of the movie too much when reading them.
                        Yes, there are things I don't like, faramir's personaly, gimli=comic relief, green sci-fi towers... But I feel like it balances out from some of the other stuff they did, like Pippin's song in the ROK, gollum, and creepy riders in black. Possibly they did actually have some idea of what the books were about, they just got distracted by shiny movie-industry ideas along the way...
                        Alyssa

                      • jack@telaservices.co.uk
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 14, 2011

                          Gah!  I had forgotten the dwarf-tossing jokes!

                          But generally the movies were pretty good

                          :o)

                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 17, 2011

                            LOTR was published in three parts between 1954 and 1955, according to Wikipedia...

                            So no-one saw it in the 1940s...