RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Sorry About The Spam

  • Ronn! Blankenship
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 22, 2010
      At 12:21 PM Monday 11/22/2010, Jack wrote:

      >I think you are probably right, Ronn.
      >
      >There is a lot of that sort of thing about. I was contacted by scammers who
      >had hijacked someone's hotmail account and emailed me and others to say that
      >they had been mugged and could I send some money. Apparently it's a fairly
      >common trick - I realised fairly quickly that it was a scam, because there
      >isn't much mugging in rural North Wales, and there certainly isn't an
      >American Embassy there...

      However, on another list a few months ago we got a message from
      someone who needed some money sent Western Union so he could get home
      from Paris when some sort of transportation strike had messed up his
      original plans. In that case, though, not only did many of know him
      in person (now that I think about it, next month will be 30 years
      since I first shared an office about the size of a closet with him
      and our two desks, computers, and a bunch of filing cabinets) but
      knew that Paris was a likely place for him to be visiting as that's
      where he served his LDS mission even longer ago. Though one person
      who didn't know him as well from real life did suggest the
      possibility that the message was that sort of scam.

      Most of the actual hijacked mail I've seen recently sends out
      messages which direct anyone foolish or unthinking enough to click on
      the link in the message to an ad for . . . ahem . . . male
      enhancement products or the like . . . And in more than one case,
      what happened was that the list member's teenage or younger kid got
      on Mom and/or Dad's computer without their knowledge or permission
      (perhaps when the parent in question was away on a business trip) and
      opened an e-mail designed to appear interesting to folks in that age
      group which implanted the hijacking code . . .

      . . . ronn! :)
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2011
        Hey gang,
        Does anyone here play Lord of the Rings Online? It went free to play
        in September of last year (although I cracked and had to buy up the VIP
        option). The game world is very detailed and while there are liberties
        taken here and there, the main idea is very true to the source. Plus the
        game isn't just about killing, you can have a hobby and three crafting jobs
        in addition to killing orcs and goblins and all sorts of things.
        I am on the Imladris server, anyone else on there? Looking to get
        into the game, try www.lotro.com Feel free to ask questions if you have any.

        Take care,
        Steve

        I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian,
        against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

        'Omne ignotum pro magnifico.'
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
          I suspect if I got into this it would be a bit addictive...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2011
            At 04:18 PM 1/7/2011 +0000, Jack wrote:
            >I suspect if I got into this it would be a bit addictive...
            >:o)

            NO! Well, yes, it is. I started my 4th character last night. I have three
            dwarfs and an elf so far. And yes, it is quite addictive.