RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Re: Hobbit Movie News

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2010

      Martin Freeman is a great actor. I love him.

      He originated the role of Tim/Jim in The Office and also plays John Watson, MD in the BBC’s new series Sherlock.

      He is an everyman who is funny, but who radiates a gravitas and ethical compass. He’s an inspired choice, IMO.

      He’s also shortish. J

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2010

        Maybe his brother Morgan could play Gandalf?

        :o)

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 23, 2010
          LOL. Actually I bet Morgan Freeman would make a pretty good Gandalf,
          though I can't imagine him in long hair and long beard, and of course
          who can imagine anyone but Ian McKellen in that part right now. (I
          hope Ian comes back!)

          After all, I don't think Tolkien ever said Gandalf was white-skinned?
          :) (But I shall probably be corrected immediately about that LOL)

          Wendy

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2010
            Nope, he didn't.
            I'm sure Morgan Freeman would have a good go at Gandalf

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 24, 2010
              Dark-skinned people were sufficiently unusual in that part of Middle Earth that if Gandalf were not of Caucasian appearance---remember, he was an angel in human/elf disguise, so that he could move freely and unrecognizedly in the world stirring up covert resistance to Sauron.