Re: Hobbit Movie News

  • poikaa
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 22, 2010
      Just read over the article and it seems Jackson has found a good actor to be Bilbo. Not familiar with him, I am sure Jackson has made a good choice.
      As I first read the LOTR and the Hobbit, so long ago, I had to imagine what the characters looked and sounded like. Tolkien was descriptive enough in his prose to "paint" my imagination, that the world of Middle Earth seemed real to me. I think that was a big part of the attraction for me! When I saw Jackson's work, I was amazed, if was as if he looked into my head for details!
      Some features were not there, artistic interpretation I think, he also made clear to me some of the scale of Tolkien's world. Jackson should do a good job with "There and Back Again", I am wondering if the jewels will be embedded with Smaug along with the surprised look on the trolls faces as the sun came up.

      poikaa

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 22, 2010

        Martin Freeman is a great actor. I love him.

        He originated the role of Tim/Jim in The Office and also plays John Watson, MD in the BBC’s new series Sherlock.

        He is an everyman who is funny, but who radiates a gravitas and ethical compass. He’s an inspired choice, IMO.

        He’s also shortish. J

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 22, 2010

          Maybe his brother Morgan could play Gandalf?

          :o)

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 23, 2010
            LOL. Actually I bet Morgan Freeman would make a pretty good Gandalf,
            though I can't imagine him in long hair and long beard, and of course
            who can imagine anyone but Ian McKellen in that part right now. (I
            hope Ian comes back!)

            After all, I don't think Tolkien ever said Gandalf was white-skinned?
            :) (But I shall probably be corrected immediately about that LOL)

            Wendy

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 23, 2010
              Nope, he didn't.
              I'm sure Morgan Freeman would have a good go at Gandalf

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 24, 2010
                Dark-skinned people were sufficiently unusual in that part of Middle Earth that if Gandalf were not of Caucasian appearance---remember, he was an angel in human/elf disguise, so that he could move freely and unrecognizedly in the world stirring up covert resistance to Sauron.