RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Digest Number 2228

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 28, 2009

      I don?t remember that about Smaug being the last dragon ? pretty sure it isn?t in The Hobbit

      But perhaps someone knows better?

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 22, 2010
        Since the boycott is over with the actors guild....

        CGI has become the norm for detailed creatures and landscapes, I wonder how Smaug will be done? I remember Sean Connery doing the voice of Draco in Dragonheart, that would be nice. As I remember reading "There and Back Again" I always wondered how Smaug's voice would sound and when I heard Connery's voice, I thought "That's it!"
        I'll have to and dig the book out again, and think it over, compare the LOTR to Jackson's work to figure out what might be dropped. With two parts to the movie, it should be complete.
        And who will fill Bilbo's shoes?

        poikaa
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
          At 10:42 AM 10/22/2010 +0000, you wrote:
          > Since the boycott is over with the actors guild....
          >
          > CGI has become the norm for detailed creatures and landscapes, I wonder
          > how Smaug will be done? I remember Sean Connery doing the voice of Draco
          > in Dragonheart, that would be nice. As I remember reading "There and Back
          > Again" I always wondered how Smaug's voice would sound and when I heard
          > Connery's voice, I thought "That's it!"
          > I'll have to and dig the book out again, and think it over, compare the
          > LOTR to Jackson's work to figure out what might be dropped. With two
          > parts to the movie, it should be complete.
          > And who will fill Bilbo's shoes?
          >
          > poikaa

          As far as Smaug goes, I would rather see the dragon portrayed as
          Vermithrax Pejorative is in Dragonslayer. While the backgrounds in that
          movie need cleaned up a bit, the dragon itself looks real, something that
          is hard for CGI to capture still.

          Take care,
          Steve

          I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian,
          against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

          'Omne ignotum pro magnifico.'