RE: [TolkienDiscussions] Digest Number 2228

  • REN
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 15, 2009
      Tolkien Discussions

      I really am looking forward to this movie J

      Ren

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 22, 2009
        Tolkien Discussions

        Watch this list spring to life as purists say things like “Smaug wasn’t really gay in the book!” and “Of course Thorin had a beard down to his waist”

        Actually, a gay dragon might be quite a good idea...

        I really am looking forward to this movie J

        Ren

        Legal path clear for Hobbit movie From: jackwhittaker2000

        Message

        1.

        Legal path clear for Hobbit movie

        Posted by: "jackwhittaker2000" jack@...   jackwhittaker2000

        Wed Sep 9, 2009 4:01 am (PDT)

        A film version of JRR Tolkien's novel The Hobbit is to go ahead after its producers settled a legal row with the author's heirs.

        Details here:

        Regards
        Jack

        Recent Activity

        Visit Your Group

        Yahoo! Groups

        Small Business Group

        Own a business?

        Connect with others.

        Yahoo! Groups

        Auto Enthusiast Zone

        Auto Enthusiast Zone

        Car groups and more!

        Yahoo! Groups

        Mom Power

        Find wholesome recipes

        and more. Go Moms Go!

        Need to Reply?

      • steveseg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 22, 2009
          Jack ventured:
          Watch this list spring to life as purists say things like “Smaug wasn’t really gay in the book!”

          Wasn't Smaug said to be the last of the dragons? Isn't it possible that others might exist in the East or down South. Not much is said about the lands of Rhun, Harad and beyond...

          Steve S.

          Watch this list spring to life as purists say things like “Smaug wasn’t really gay in the book!” and “Of course Thorin had a beard down to his waist”

          Actually, a gay dragon=2 0might be quite a good idea...

          Posted by: "jackwhittaker2000" jack@telaservices. co.uk   jackwhittaker2000

          Wed Sep 9, 2009 4:01 am (PDT)

          A film version of JRR Tolkien's novel The Hobbit is to go ahead after its producers settled a legal row with the author's heirs.

          Details here:
          http://news. bbc.co.uk/ 1/hi/entertainme nt/8245300. stm

          Regards
          Jack
          Recent Activity
          Yahoo! Groups
          Own a business?
          Connect with others.
          Yahoo! Groups
          Auto Enthusiast Zone
          Car groups and more!
          Yahoo! Groups
          Find wholesome recipes
          and more. Go Moms Go!
          Need to Reply?
          of our Messages, Chat, Files, Phot os, Links, Database, Polls, Members,
          and Calendar sections.
          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/TolkienDis cussions

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 22, 2009

            Did Tolkien ever state if dragons reproduced in a normal way (i.e. a mother and a father dragon birth together a baby dragon)?

            Originally the “great drakes” and dragons were the product of Morgoth’s perverting of reality (i.e. made by mystical means). So were there a set number of dragons from the time Morgoth made them or did they reproduce normally once he made them all?

            Rob

          • Bruce Alan Wilson
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 23, 2009
              I don't think he ever said.  He did say that they were "spawned", but that could mean anything or nothing.

              All the dragons that appeared as characters were male, or at least were referred to as 'he'; but that doesn't mean that there were no female dragons at all.

              Bruce Alan Wilson
              http://www.wvdemolay.org/

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 28, 2009

                I don?t remember that about Smaug being the last dragon ? pretty sure it isn?t in The Hobbit

                But perhaps someone knows better?

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 28, 2009

                  We don’t know

                  Most dragons died in the overthrow of Beleriand (First Age) and so perhaps there were too few to breed.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 22, 2010
                    Since the boycott is over with the actors guild....

                    CGI has become the norm for detailed creatures and landscapes, I wonder how Smaug will be done? I remember Sean Connery doing the voice of Draco in Dragonheart, that would be nice. As I remember reading "There and Back Again" I always wondered how Smaug's voice would sound and when I heard Connery's voice, I thought "That's it!"
                    I'll have to and dig the book out again, and think it over, compare the LOTR to Jackson's work to figure out what might be dropped. With two parts to the movie, it should be complete.
                    And who will fill Bilbo's shoes?

                    poikaa
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 24, 2010
                      At 10:42 AM 10/22/2010 +0000, you wrote:
                      > Since the boycott is over with the actors guild....
                      >
                      > CGI has become the norm for detailed creatures and landscapes, I wonder
                      > how Smaug will be done? I remember Sean Connery doing the voice of Draco
                      > in Dragonheart, that would be nice. As I remember reading "There and Back
                      > Again" I always wondered how Smaug's voice would sound and when I heard
                      > Connery's voice, I thought "That's it!"
                      > I'll have to and dig the book out again, and think it over, compare the
                      > LOTR to Jackson's work to figure out what might be dropped. With two
                      > parts to the movie, it should be complete.
                      > And who will fill Bilbo's shoes?
                      >
                      > poikaa

                      As far as Smaug goes, I would rather see the dragon portrayed as
                      Vermithrax Pejorative is in Dragonslayer. While the backgrounds in that
                      movie need cleaned up a bit, the dragon itself looks real, something that
                      is hard for CGI to capture still.

                      Take care,
                      Steve

                      I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian,
                      against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

                      'Omne ignotum pro magnifico.'