Bag End

  • Morjuc
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 22, 2009
      Hello,

      I was wondering if it was ever started anywhere what the address of Bag End was. All I could find was a reference to Gaffer Gamgee living in number 3 Bagshot Row. It came up in a conversation, you see...

      AT
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 22, 2009
        Bag End
        Hobbiton
        The Shire

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
          In the last chapter of TH
          I believe that's the first time that Hobbiton is mentioned (on the auction notice). I always thought that Hobbiton was an odd name - but probably no odder than Manchester.
          L-o-H
          I was wondering if it was ever started anywhere what the address of Bag End
          was.  All I could find was a reference to Gaffer Gamgee living in number 3
          Bagshot Row.  It came up in a conversation, you see...

          AT

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:TolkienDiscussions-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:TolkienDiscussions-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Morjuc
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
            This might be a silly question, but I always thought that Bag end was on Bagshot row. Is it not then?

            I think the names that really caught my attention were always hobbit names, like peregrin and proudfoots. But then pretty much anything hobbittish will have an entertaining name.

            AT

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
              No, I'm pretty sure it isn't

              Bag End is the big house where the well-to-do Bilbo Baggins lives
              Bagshot Row is where the gardener lives - smaller cheaper houses

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009

                Is it indeed?

                Whence Frodo’s alias at the Prancing Pony, of course

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 23, 2009
                  Or, perhaps,

                  "Bag End"
                  1 Bagshot Row